The_Brofessional

Hey there,

Long time shooter, but just getting my first bolt gun for hunting season (and some 500+ yard shooting for fun)
Picked up a Bergara B-14 HMR in .300 WM

My question revolves around my scope choice. I understand there are a plethora of great scopes to be had in the $700-1,000 range, particularly from Vortex such as the Razor, Strike Eagle, or Viper PST Gen 2. All around 5-24x50.

My biggest concern when reading/watching reviews, however, is that most of them have 200-400 rounds fired out of a 6.5 Creedmoore or a .308, and not a cannon like the .300 WM. These copes withstanding the recoil is my concern.

My question is this: Are there any scopes in the sub $1k price point that have a history of doing better on high recoil-impulse rifles than others?
Just in my short time researching, I'm finding that these scopes are ALL subject to bad batches, and that the whole "Made in Phillipines" vs. "Made in China" doesn't actually translate to better or worse QC. Doesn't help the Strike Eagle is so new either from a history comparison perspective either.

Thoughts/opinions (other than the "gitchu a $2,400 NF") are appreciated!

In the 1k or under, 6-24 category, I would look at a Sightron SIII. I have three of them, all on magnums, and all have held up fine over time. My first one is still on my 300wm and has seen a lot of rounds and hunted in some rough country. They are made in Japan and the glass is great.

In the 1k or under, 6-24 category, I would look at a Sightron SIII. I have three of them, all on magnums, and all have held up fine over time. My first one is still on my 300wm and has seen a lot of rounds and hunted in some rough country. They are made in Japan and the glass is great.
+1 to this. Sightron scopes are hard to beat for the price!

SWFAs do better for less. That said, the Vortex Vipers, especially the old ones were solid for those looking at a budget price. I'd be careful around the strike eagle. I know some guy with his greasy little fingers is quoting me and typing right now "I never had any problems" "I own 15 on 23 different rifles" and is also probably those people who needs 35x to shoot deer and believes there are "too many variables" to shoot in the wind.

The razor's are gtg as well. Sightron is probably too as they are all made by the same factory for all the japan made scopes. Same as the MPO the CT, etc etc.

Research LOW scopes.

Swfa. Athlon tracks but you might need the warranty. Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 would be my top pick.

SWFAs do better for less. That said, the Vortex Vipers, especially the old ones were solid for those looking at a budget price. I'd be careful around the strike eagle. I know some guy with his greasy little fingers is quoting me and typing right now "I never had any problems" "I own 15 on 23 different rifles" and is also probably those people who needs 35x to shoot deer and believes there are "too many variables" to shoot in the wind.

The razor's are gtg as well. Sightron is probably too as they are all made by the same factory for all the japan made scopes. Same as the MPO the CT, etc etc.

Research LOW scopes.
I agree. Razors and Viper PST are rock solid. I'm a huge Vortex fan but would not consider any of their cheaper scopes. Nightforce SHV is another good option and solid as well.

Hey there,

Long time shooter, but just getting my first bolt gun for hunting season (and some 500+ yard shooting for fun)

My question revolves around my scope choice. I understand there are a plethora of great scopes to be had in the $700-1,000 range, particularly from Vortex such as the Razor, Strike Eagle, or Viper PST Gen 2. All around 5-24x50.

My biggest concern when reading/watching reviews, however, is that most of them have 200-400 rounds fired out of a 6.5 Creedmoore or a .308, and not a cannon like the .300 WM. These copes withstanding the recoil is my concern.

My question is this: Are there any scopes in the sub $1k price point that have a history of doing better on high recoil-impulse rifles than others?
Just in my short time researching, I'm finding that these scopes are ALL subject to bad batches, and that the whole "Made in Phillipines" vs. "Made in China" doesn't actually translate to better or worse QC. Doesn't help the Strike Eagle is so new either from a history comparison perspective either.

I have had good luck with Leupolds. Don't consider .300wm a cannon.

Check out blackhoundoptics.com. Lifetime transferable warranty. Use "basinman" as the discount code and save an additional 5% and get free shipping. 6-24 x 50 MIL or MOA for under $400.

I'm with tooOld as my go to 300 wm has a VXlll 6.5-20 and have never had a problem with it.
Another 300 win mag carries an Athlon Aries 3-15 and my Remington 300 wm has a Zeiss Conquest 6-20.
I have a Bushnell Nitro 5-20 and love this scope.Its on a 308 and is too much scope for a 308 but I love this scope and would highly recommend it.Natchez has them on sale for 499.99 and other Nitro's are lower than that.If you can use a 4-16x44 they are 449.99 and I have seen them on Midwayusa at even lower prices.
Also Toric has a mid level scope that may be my next scope.
Consumers have never had it so good as there are many scopes that would fit your need.

Hey there,

Reading through the replies you have a lot of good recommendations. I will agree on the high end Sightrons,Vortex razors,Leupold and do some checking on the Swarovski Z3 & Z5

Recent Posts