Picking a Savage stock

therifleman556

I'm trying to put together the pieces for a Savage. I'm looking at stocks and simply want to clarify what I need. I've got a model 16 center feed with top bolt release and hinged floorplate.

Am I correct that I can use any stock that will fit the model 10?

Am I also correct that the inletting is the same between the detachable mag models and the hinged floorplate models?

I'd really like a Bell and Carlson, but I can't find one in a Sporter shape for my action. Maybe I should just call them and ask, but it's Saturday night and I'm bored and out of beer so to the interwebs I go.

My other option is Boyd's, but I love the feel of the B&C on my Winchester.

Am I missing any other good choices in the sub-$300 bracket?

I've bedded several Savages in Boyd's stocks. Check Stocky's for a B&C, saw some there. Savages are more difficult to bed than other makes, but you'd benefit greatly with bedding. I'd favor the B&C, Boyd's has a larger selection of styles. The Boyd's are a bit heavier and their inletting is quite loose needing bedding. Good luck

412D4B2E-ECEB-43E5-A3DA-309F6C008B49.jpeg
Anybody run one of the Choates? Looks like a good price for a good piece. Sounds like they're on the heavy side though.
I run a Choate, but it is heavy. I'll buy more for my range toys.
For a hunting rifle, I honestly like the accustock.

I have both Boyds and Choate. Can' go wrong either way you go.
2018-07-01 12.23.10.jpg

300wsm...gun shoots a lot better in this stock.

2018-03-16 23.20.58.jpg

Top one is a 6.5x284 Savage Axis the bottom is the wife's 6.5 Creedmoor Savage SA. She likes the Varmint better than the thumb hole because she is small framed. Thumb hole is too long for her.

20171001_122751.jpg

264wm in Savage LA. I added the cheek riser.

B&C does not offer a short action sporter shape stock. I'll look at Stockade a little more. Might have to go with Boyd's.
Even HS Precision is nothing but bull barrel, tactical stuff with big fat fore ends.

I called and talked to the gentleman at Stockade. He gave me some insight as to why I might be having issues finding a stock. He said their experience is that the Savage DBM and floorplate setups are prone to popping out/open and even causing feeding issues. The only stocks they offer for Savage are blind magazine.

They look like great stocks, and reasonably priced. I don't really want to wait 20 weeks though.

Looks like I'll be ordering a Boyd's tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with the floorplate rifles? Will they fit in the DBM inletting?

I called and talked to the gentleman at Stockade. He gave me some insight as to why I might be having issues finding a stock. He said their experience is that the Savage DBM and floorplate setups are prone to popping out/open and even causing feeding issues. The only stocks they offer for Savage are blind magazine.

They look like great stocks, and reasonably priced. I don't really want to wait 20 weeks though.

Looks like I'll be ordering a Boyd's tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with the floorplate rifles? Will they fit in the DBM inletting?

I bought a choate tactical for my savage. All they offered for the older 4.27 actions was blind feed stocks. I had a gunsmith mill it out for dbm M5 bottom metal for $60 and it turned out well and feeds great. So if you find a blind feed stock you like it can easily be milled out. Most stocks with floor plates will need to be opened up for a M5 footprint to run a dbm setup, not a big deal.

Theres a guy on accurateahooter forum selling a GRS Berserk if you're ok with something that doesnt look traditional and you're right handed.

I have one and its a nice stock in the $450 range. Full retail price is a bit high for a synthetic like the GRS but i fot mine for a good deal. About what the barely used one on accurate shooter is selling at.

I ordered a Boyd's yesterday. I'm going with a Heritage in nutmeg with scale pattern checkering. I'll start a new thread once everything comes in. I'm putting a 24" 1-8" twist McGowan in 243 on.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.