Picking a caliber for a new build?

Based on your perimeters and most of the above responses, I would agree, I think you have your answer. 7 SAUM!!! 284 Win is not a bad choice either but with the mile the 7 SAUM is more practical. I would get a fast twist 1/8 or at least a 1/9 and shoot the 175s.

Additionally, a 24 inch barrel would be optimal but if you are running suppressed all the time depending on the suppressor you could go as short as 20" and be fine.

Perception and the ability to learn, a good thing?
Ive been learning for the last 50 of my now 86 years friend.
It is an excellant cartridge, but it just isnt an excellent 1 mile cartridge for a hunter to use.
Go sit on a hillside where i live and watch them go and you will learn something also.
Funny thing is i learned that my 3500 fps 30x378 wasent very good at that distance either.
But i guess some are just better learners than others are.

Since you want a short barrel the short fat mags will give you the best efficiency in a short barrel. Off the top of the head as others have said the 7 saum, 300 WSM, short Sherman's are great choices. If you are a handloader, likely, and you don't mind dealing with a wildcat the Sherman's will likely provide the most raw power. If ammo available is a thought then a 300 WSM would be the most available. You will have headaches trying to find cases for 7mm WSMs.

On your build have the throat set up to put your bullets of choice out in the lands with their bases at the neck/shoulder junction to get as much short fat case as possible. Also, do some estimates on velocity and ballistics using the environment where you'll shoot a mile typically to make sure your scope setup can reach the required elevation adjustments. It may be somewhere around 40-60 MOA or more.
My 300 WSM build had the chamber at SAMMI spec and I wish I had a longer throat. Bullets bigger than 180 grains and all copper bullets bigger than 150 grains consume significant powder capacity. I wanted to shoot 200-225 grain bullets but they don't make sense with my build so I live with 180 grain scirocco at 2880 FPS. Works out to 600 yards or so.

It is an excellant cartridge, but it just isnt an excellent 1 mile cartridge for a hunter to use.
Go sit on a hillside where i live and watch them go and you will learn something also.
Funny thing is i learned that my 3500 fps 30x378 wasent very good at that distance either.
While you're in your era of learning try this: :)

1. Contribute the original poster's content or question. Don't piggy back other's posts looking for a confrontation.
2. No cartridge is a good cartridge for 1 mile hunting. I separate my guns per purpose as I stated, I have a hunting gun and RANGE gun in 300 WM.
3. Don't assume you know others talents, or anything about anyone posting on the internet. You'll get to know who is in the know and who isn't.
4. Your comments on this thread tell display you haven't learned a **** thing in 50yrs. (Totally kidding dude, Or I'd violate my #3 😄)

What I shoot at 1 mile:
989B80A5-7065-4621-B4A2-15DA8A630513.jpeg

What I eat:
E147F0C8-6A4D-439E-9FFA-65DCAA489E7C.jpeg

Last edited:
Late learner? What happened to the first 36 years? Never mind, I seen Cheech & Chong !
Yes, It is an excellent cartridge, but my personal opinion on hunting 1 mile is, well not too. Any way you were speaking of great cartridge's in your prior post, now we are at excellent, HMMMMM!
I don't need to sit on your hillside where you live to see anything exiting, well maybe Jeopardy.
Speaking of learning, maybe the first 36 included a smoke cloud in 3rd grade grammar?
Cheers Einstein!!

Late learner? What happened to the first 36 years? Never mind, I seen Cheech & Chong !
Yes, It is an excellent cartridge, but my personal opinion on hunting 1 mile is, well not too. Any way you were speaking of great cartridge's in your prior post, now we are at excellent, HMMMMM!
I don't need to sit on your hillside where you live to see anything exiting, well maybe Jeopardy.
Speaking of learning, maybe the first 36 included a smoke cloud in 3rd grade grammar?
Cheers Einstein!!
Well remember, back in those days we werent blessed with the internet, and all the great information gotten from that without ever leaving home or firing a shot. lol
But someday just for kicks get yourself a gun and try it the old way.

My 300 WSM build had the chamber at SAMMI spec and I wish I had a longer throat. Bullets bigger than 180 grains and all copper bullets bigger than 150 grains consume significant powder capacity. I wanted to shoot 200-225 grain bullets but they don't make sense with my build so I live with 180 grain scirocco at 2880 FPS. Works out to 600 yards or so.
Yeah, we suffered from similar issues with our a lot of our previous builds, 7mm STWs, 300 WSMs. Plus the old STWs we had had magazines that were too short, so I had to single feed them, same issue with one of our 300 WSMs in an A7 Sako. None of the older cartridges are setup to use heavy for caliber bullets off the shelf. The industry is struggling to get up the speed with this new trend. The three new cartridges 6.5 PRC, 300 PRC, and the 6.8 Western are the first SAAMI ones to catch up to the new trend. I still had my smith use a fine throat cutter to set my bullet seating depth on my 6.5 PRC so I could use as much powder capacity as possible.

Well, because your running a S/A and barrel under 24" inches and trying to stay with brass that might be more available I'd say the 7mm RSAUM could be a good fit, but... I think the original .284 Win would be a better one, just my thought. So, with that said.., if it were me, I think I'd look at the .300 RSAUM of which like the .284 Win I have a lot of time behind. Both in a short action... so... if I was doing the build a rifle and planned to keep my hunting within a reasonable range say zero to 600 for the big stuff and 800 for Deer size, I'd build an old-school 6.5 Rem Mag... why? because it's a fantastic cartridge that has never been given to just dues as a game taker and longer range paper puncher... and it works great in S/A rifles, downside; brass.
6.5 Rem mag is a lazer in a short action with a 22" barrel pushing 120 ttsx at 3000, thru and thru boiler room or grenades on big bones,,,,,