Picking a caliber for a new build?

So say the books, but my question to you would be,( have you ever done any shooting with one at 1 mile? )
If so tell us how that went.
It could go something like this. (10:00 mark starts the mile) I do it with 208gr. 230 would be even better down at 2800fps MV.

My opinions here...I'd think you would want a 24" barrel to maximize the potential velocity of the cartridge.

I have also learned throughout life that it's best not to ask of anything to be great at dual purposes. Build a rig to be great for hunting and another for the 1 mile range. This is what I do with my 300 win mags.
I do agree with the 24" barrel. I built a 22" 300 WSM and love it but wish I had the 2 more inches of barrel. I put an XLR magnesium chassis on mine. Love the folding stock for back country and making it small.

7-08, 7 Saum. Keep your desired bullet and OAL in mind so action length doesn't hinder you. If you reload a 7 CM design would be on the heels of the 7-08 without seating as deep into cartridge.

Trying to plan out the next build I want to do and see what calibers could work. This is gonna be a build that I pretty much pick my caliber around my components.

Main focus will be hunting, but I have access to long range up to a mile, so I know I will run it there some.

Game size will be Elk as the largest down to mulies/antelope/whitetail. Short action, 20-22" barrel, and will run a can all the time. Im leaning more towards a 7mm or 30 cal cartridge just for the elk aspect. We have a hunt planned next year.

Action length is set, Barrel length is no longer than 22". Avaliable brass is also another factor. Im not sure i wasn't to convert/fire form, and do a ton of brass prep.

So what's everyone's recommendations?
Since you want a short barrel the short fat mags will give you the best efficiency in a short barrel. Off the top of the head as others have said the 7 saum, 300 WSM, short Sherman's are great choices. If you are a handloader, likely, and you don't mind dealing with a wildcat the Sherman's will likely provide the most raw power. If ammo available is a thought then a 300 WSM would be the most available. You will have headaches trying to find cases for 7mm WSMs.

On your build have the throat set up to put your bullets of choice out in the lands with their bases at the neck/shoulder junction to get as much short fat case as possible. Also, do some estimates on velocity and ballistics using the environment where you'll shoot a mile typically to make sure your scope setup can reach the required elevation adjustments. It may be somewhere around 40-60 MOA or more.

When you throat it long you are basically making a 300 PRC. Look at what the 250 A tips will do at 2700-2800 FPS MV!!! Snd a 30 inch barrel makes it a cannon.
its the other way around🤣 they had too make an extremely long throated beltless 300 win mag too compete with with the 300 win mag!:D:D

Trying to plan out the next build I want to do and see what calibers could work. This is gonna be a build that I pretty much pick my caliber around my components.

Main focus will be hunting, but I have access to long range up to a mile, so I know I will run it there some.

Game size will be Elk as the largest down to mulies/antelope/whitetail. Short action, 20-22" barrel, and will run a can all the time. Im leaning more towards a 7mm or 30 cal cartridge just for the elk aspect. We have a hunt planned next year.

Action length is set, Barrel length is no longer than 22". Avaliable brass is also another factor. Im not sure i wasn't to convert/fire form, and do a ton of brass prep.

So what's everyone's recommendations?
Well, because your running a S/A and barrel under 24" inches and trying to stay with brass that might be more available I'd say the 7mm RSAUM could be a good fit, but... I think the original .284 Win would be a better one, just my thought. So, with that said.., if it were me, I think I'd look at the .300 RSAUM of which like the .284 Win I have a lot of time behind. Both in a short action... so... if I was doing the build a rifle and planned to keep my hunting within a reasonable range say zero to 600 for the big stuff and 800 for Deer size, I'd build an old-school 6.5 Rem Mag... why? because it's a fantastic cartridge that has never been given to just dues as a game taker and longer range paper puncher... and it works great in S/A rifles, downside; brass.