Picking a caliber for a new build?

cm1021

Trying to plan out the next build I want to do and see what calibers could work. This is gonna be a build that I pretty much pick my caliber around my components.

Main focus will be hunting, but I have access to long range up to a mile, so I know I will run it there some.

Game size will be Elk as the largest down to mulies/antelope/whitetail. Short action, 20-22" barrel, and will run a can all the time. Im leaning more towards a 7mm or 30 cal cartridge just for the elk aspect. We have a hunt planned next year.

Action length is set, Barrel length is no longer than 22". Avaliable brass is also another factor. Im not sure i wasn't to convert/fire form, and do a ton of brass prep.

So what's everyone's recommendations?

My opinions here...I'd think you would want a 24" barrel to maximize the potential velocity of the cartridge.

I have also learned throughout life that it's best not to ask of anything to be great at dual purposes. Build a rig to be great for hunting and another for the 1 mile range. This is what I do with my 300 win mags.

Trying to plan out the next build I want to do and see what calibers could work. This is gonna be a build that I pretty much pick my caliber around my components.

Main focus will be hunting, but I have access to long range up to a mile, so I know I will run it there some.

Game size will be Elk as the largest down to mulies/antelope/whitetail. Short action, 20-22" barrel, and will run a can all the time. Im leaning more towards a 7mm or 30 cal cartridge just for the elk aspect. We have a hunt planned next year.

Action length is set, Barrel length is no longer than 22". Avaliable brass is also another factor. Im not sure i wasn't to convert/fire form, and do a ton of brass prep.

So what's everyone's recommendations?
Like the others, I agree with at least a 7mm running at least a 175 grain bullet. Larger is better if you plan on elk but with a 7mm 195 is all you are going to get.

IME, the 195 is run best out of a long action with >74 grains of powder capacity to see its FULL potential. Of course it will work in a short case but the 195 was NEVER made to be shot out of a short case. 175 grain bullets have been killing elk well for 60 years and you probably won't need more given the high BCs in the newer 175s. For deer and antelope, you will keep from blowing them in half - especially the antelope LOL

I also recommend a 24" bbl - the 2 inches with a can is negligible but at ELR ranges, the extra 100 or so FPS may be worth it given the capacity of the short cases. The 7 SAUM and 7 Sherman are great SA choices.

Last edited:
I actually just went through this process. I went with a 7mm wsm. Received the rifle 2 days before I was taking off for my elk hunt. Decided that I didn't have time to get it ready to go so put it in the safe. Will get it ready this winter/spring. Must admit that one of the main reasons for the 7mm wsm was that I have everything to reload for it and with how everything is going now days I figured this was a plus. I do have another 7mm wsm that I really like and it does a good job on elk. But wanted something lighter to carry. The build came in at 5.25 lbs. Might be to light. Guess time will tell. Good luck with your new build.

My opinions here...I'd think you would want a 24" barrel to maximize the potential velocity of the cartridge.

I have also learned throughout life that it's best not to ask of anything to be great at dual purposes. Build a rig to be great for hunting and another for the 1 mile range. This is what I do with my 300 win mags.
I never realized that the Win Mag was a great 1 mile cartridge.

7SS is the best performing short action out there with everything in stock to build and shoot.
175 EH or 180 Hy loads at 2.90" and will run 2950' with a 22" barrel.
Agree that the 7SS is a winning western caliber. Only item to think about is ammo availability. If you travel, you might be able to find some 7 SAUM is some of the nicer shops if there is an issue. the Sherman's, not so much.
If you don't mind the risk, as I usually don't, go with that makes your heart happy and if its a Sherman, its likely the last short action hammer you will need.

+1 for the 7 Saum
i shoot a 6.5 saum 156g Berger and love it.
I have killed elk at 1000 and deer and antelope its perfect.
Low recoil and decent barrel life