Pick me a Bullet for a 11.25" Twist

KyleC

I have a .300 Winchester built on a Borden Timberline Magnum action. The rifle is extremely accurate with every bullet I've tried and loves HOT loads. It has a 25" Fluted #4 Rock Barrel with a 11.25" Twist, Mcmillan Classic Edge stock and Wyatt long box. I've never tried, but according to Bergers twist calculator the 215's are out of the question and the 210's would be marginal. I live at 200' above sea level and hunt up to 4000'. Which bullet would serve me well for deer, elk and black bear? Shots inside 700 yards.

You have to understand what Berger writes when they offer this information:

Your bullet is MARGINALLY STABLE.
Your bullet stability is marginal. You may shoot good groups under these conditions, but the BC of the bullet will not be optimized.

SG = 1.18Bullet BC (G1): 0.696Adjusted BC for 1 in 11.25" Twist:0.629Your BC is being compromised by: 10%Minimum Twist Recommended: 1 in 9.75"

Your BC gets lower but it does not suggest that your groups will be crazy or out of control. It's misleading until you read the whole explanation.

If it was my choice and it has been in the past, I use the 210, happily.:D

For 700 max I'd try out 168 barnes ttsx. I'm getting 3060 fps with them out of a 24 inch barrel. My load is about the middle of published data. You could probably push them to 3200 with a different powder and an extra inch of barrel. I was very happy with the performance at 440 yards on my elk last year.

You have to understand what Berger writes when they offer this information:

SG = 1.18Bullet BC (G1): 0.696Adjusted BC for 1 in 11.25" Twist:0.629Your BC is being compromised by: 10%Minimum Twist Recommended: 1 in 9.75"

Your BC gets lower but it does not suggest that your groups will be crazy or out of control. It's misleading until you read the whole explanation.

If it was my choice and it has been in the past, I use the 210, happily.:D

So if the bullet shoots good in my rifle then I need to use the adjusted BC when figuring my dope chart?

For 700 max I'd try out 168 barnes ttsx. I'm getting 3060 fps with them out of a 24 inch barrel. My load is about the middle of published data. You could probably push them to 3200 with a different powder and an extra inch of barrel. I was very happy with the performance at 440 yards on my elk last year.

I've tried the Barnes 168 TTSX. They shoot really well.

img085 (2).jpg

I have shot the Berger 210 out if a 11.25 twist and they did well.

If looking for monos I have also shot the 175 Barnes LRX with it also.

11.25 twist was a rifling developed by the US military for 175 grain bullets. They did a lot of research which is why it is such an odd number versus the more conventional whole number twist. I would look around that weight and find what bullet your gun likes and jump.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.