Pick a scope for my new 280AI

Elkwonder

I have a new Montana Rifle company Extreme X2 chambered in 280 AI coming in a week or so. I plan on this being my main hunting gun from antelope to mule deer and the occasional combo mule deer/elk hunt. I have a dedicated 300wsm for may main elk hunting.
Back to the 280AI. If I set a budget of around two grand, what would be my best choices? Right now the main front runner is looking like a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44 with ballistic turret. I am definitely leaning toward having the capability to dail in my elevation. I know that the glass will be good for the money, but how repeatable will the turret be dialing up and down all the time on the swaro.
I am also looking at the night force, but DANG at the weight. I will be ordering the Sightron S-TAC 2.5-17X56 for my 223 next week, and if I like it as well as I think I might, that could be another option. I know it won't be up to par optically with the Swarovski, but at LESS THAN HALF the price, thats a lot of savings. Any other options I should look at? What would you guys put on it if it was yours........Thanks

There are a bunch of good scope choices these days scopes. You're on a good track with Swarovski, I can't add anything about the adjustments, as I have not had a rifle scope. I do have their spotter, and I can't say enough good about how it's put together.

I like the Nightforce, but like you said they are heavy.

The Leupold Mark 4's have been good to me.

Just got my first Vortex, untested as yet.

With the internet everything can be had, anywhere solving availability issues.

How you use it will decide which of the packages out there meet your individual needs. I don't think you can go wrong with with any of them.

I just recently purchased a zeiss 3-15 x42 HD with adjustable turrets and I really like it for my 6.5 Creed.

+1 I have 2 of these and a 3-15x50 HD5 they are a good scope the Zero stop feature is not as good as the Nightforce but not much different than the Z5. You can dial 17 MOA which will get out to 600 easily. You can also purchase for a lot less. The 50mm objective is great but it adds alot of weight but still comes in under the NF.

If you want dial up and past 6-700 NF is the way to go.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

+1 I have 2 of these and a 3-15x50 HD5 they are a good scope the Zero stop feature is not as good as the Nightforce but not much different than the Z5. You can dial 17 MOA which will get out to 600 easily. You can also purchase for a lot less. The 50mm objective is great but it adds alot of weight but still comes in under the NF.

If you want dial up and past 6-700 NF is the way to go.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

600-700 is definitely all I need. The one thing that aggravates me about the swarovski is that it doesn't cone with one more ring. I don't like sighting in past 200 for my first zero, so only having three additional rings only gets you out to five hundred. I really wish it could accept one or two more rings so that you could get out to six or seven hundred but I guess you could just put another mark on one of the other rings and you would be in business.

600-700 is definitely all I need. The one thing that aggravates me about the swarovski is that it doesn't cone with one more ring. I don't like sighting in past 200 for my first zero, so only having three additional rings only gets you out to five hundred. I really wish it could accept one or two more rings so that you could get out to six or seven hundred but I guess you could just put another mark on one of the other rings and you would be in business.

Understood, the turret system on the Z5 is probably optimal to 500. I reviewed the 280 AI and 17moa might get you to 700 with a 160 with a 100 yard zero. If you set the zero stop on the HD5.

600 will not be a problem. With a 200 yard zero 3" high at 100 might be a better spot to start to get to 700. I like the HD5 but I am saving for the NF for out past 600.

Shoot straight and post some pic's of you're rig when you get it set up.

Bob

Im thinking that I will start out sighted in at 200, and then the colored dots will get me out to 500. For 600 and 700 I am just going to put a mark on the bottom ring and then I will place clear fingernail polish over it and I should be good to go...

Swarovski make a custom dial for the z5 BT. Its a simple job to replace and far more user friendly. With the zero stop I get 13.5 moa, Mounted on a 243ai with 105vlds using a 150yd zero it will reach 725yds in average atmospheric. It has been very reliable for me.

IMG_0019_zpsc5343316.jpg

On my 280 AI I run a USO LR -17 and absolutely love it. Another option you can look at is the Leupold MK6 3-18X44 I prefer the M5C2 turrets and save you some weight.

With a budget of $2000 you can get some amazing optics! I just got a SB klassik 3-12x50 and really like it. It is super light and the glass is amazing. The New England Custom Gun company makes custom ballistic turrets for the Klassik and Zenith line of S&B scopes. I'm working up a load and after drop confirmations will be ordering some. If I was to get an all around scope I would go with the 4-16x50 instead of the 3-12 just for the added magnification.

I have similar thoughts and problems as you. 280 ai Shinto be complete, and looking at same options as you but including vx-6 3-18 .has 20 moa in cds. But like the weight ,clarity of z5 too. There is another dial option for the z5 also I found it on another thread on this forum. Multiple revolutions. I am thinking this is the option I want to try. tough decision .I have been thinkin about it couple months now

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.