Picatinny Rail By Norman E. Johnson

ADMIN

Administrator
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Picatinny Rail By Norman E. Johnson. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

question from a slightly slow guy. what is a picatinny rail and how does it help an old schutzen competitor trying to modernize.
thanks

There is a research project in Redmond WA that gets tested occasionally in Picatinny Arsenal in NJ and so some gear gets packed up and shipped.

There is a rifle scope involved, a Burris 8x32x44 that sits on top of the gear to be tested.
It is mounted with a Weaver rail:)

OK I'm confused. For years I used Picatinny and Weaver style interchangeably, because Weaver will fit Picatinny. lol did the testing hit a little snag? Slang terms bring slang parts.

Here is the technical explanation:
GunTech : Picatinny Rails, Weaver Rails, What

But the take home message is that the Weaver rail looks cheaper.

9130withPicatinnymountweldedsteelin.jpg

I welded onto the rear of this receiver and drilled and tapped and put Aluminum on the front.
Then I cut a Picatinny rail to be parallel with the bolt bore.

Aluminum rails always look cheap until they are cleaned up a bit. Have you found a good coating for Aluminum other than annodizing, one that will stick and not build up to change dimensions like ceramakote does?

That is a Mosin Nagant receiver.
The $30 ATI scope mount for that in 2009 was anodized and the holes and countersinks did not meet 10-32 cap screw specifications, due, I think, to anodize build up.
The 2011 ATI mount is a much thinner flatter looking coating that meets spec.

The mounts in the picture that I made took too many man hours, and I have not worked on it in a while. I will probably put a VZ59 barrel on it next month, and then maybe some Aluminum black from brownells.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.