Pic of the 8mm Rem mag

NONYA

For those who asked heres a pic.Rifle was bought by my father the year Rem released them,it has killed grizzly's in Alaska and Russia,Buffalo,kudu and several other plains game in Africa and more elk,deer,antelope and b bear than I can keep track of over the years.
gun)

It's nice to see a rifle with that much history. Looks like you could pick it up and go after whatever you want whenever you want.

Nice looking rigg! :) 8mm's are great for all kinds of big game hunting! Their terminal performance is outstanding. I love them but it looks like they aren't that popular in the USA. :rolleyes: People on this site were complaining about the lack of good 8 mm bullets for long range... maybe some producers are willing to fill the gap?!

Nice looking rigg! :) 8mm's are great for all kinds of big game hunting! Their terminal performance is outstanding. I love them but it looks like they aren't that popular in the USA. :rolleyes: People on this site were complaining about the lack of good 8 mm bullets for long range... maybe some producers are willing to fill the gap?!
I agree, I wouldn't hesitate to build one of the 8mm's that I designed if I could get high BC long-range capable 8mm bullets.

We might need to revive the 7mm & 8mm threads.....What do you think?

We might need some good pics from nice 8 mm rigs for the revived thread like that one above. Should be a good way giving people an imagination how great 8 mms can be. gun)

I shoot the 180 gr Nolsers Bts on thin skin and paper/gong and the barnes TSX 180s at everything else.It hasnt encountered anything on the planet it couldnt kill effectively.This rifle dropped a charging grizz and a rather angry cape buffalo without any issues,Id put it up against anything,its BONEafied!gun)

Yes, with right bullets the 8 mm RM and its European cousin 8x68S are extremely effective. :) They both have flat trajectory, are very precise and their terminal ballistics are phenomenal. In Europe, you find a bunch of good bullets for them too, like Blaser CDP, Brenneke TOG, Lutz Moeller MJG and many more. Looking at this site some bullets for the special purpose of LRH may be missing. People here are demanding Berger VLD or ABLR. gun)

What about necking to .338 anyone done this? I imagine they are basically the same but better selection of bullets. I ve been wondering about this for a awhile. Never thought to ask or even look it up. A 338stw I guess. if so any dies out there? Or have to go custom?

What about necking to .338 anyone done this? I imagine they are basically the same but better selection of bullets. I ve been wondering about this for a awhile. Never thought to ask or even look it up. A 338stw I guess. if so any dies out there? Or have to go custom?
I guess you wouldn't neck it thou. Memory seems to put the 8mm at .323 but age is starting to catch me:) .now I'm gonna have to break out a hodgedon manual.

Last edited:
As much as I love the 7mm STW, the belted brass is the only hindrance I can find. The brass life is nowhere near as long as my beltless calibers.

And yes, the .338-8mm Remington Magnum is an already established wildcat. Not a very common one, since the .338 RUM is a little more powerful with a beltless case design (.404 Jeffery) it tends to be more popular than the .338-8mm RM.

But if you want to shoot a .338-8mm RM, you can buy dies and other stuff for it on Midway...

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcategorydimensionid=12264

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.