Physical Training For Mountain Hunts

Jasein

I apologize If I gave the impression that I'm against lifting, just the opposite!!! I'm 100% on training functional and dynamic. This type of lifting has changed the course of sports for ever. The lifts that you mention are great lifts especially the push press which generates power in the hips. Also the front squats, which help prevents incorrect form.

The term I used functional meaning that your training needs to be similar to the activity that your going to do and make it dynamic. Combining two lifts in a movement so that you can also activate and train dynamic stability. This type of stability has taken athletes to another level and you see it in there vertical leap, lateral speed and 40's.

In the past athletes where trained with heavy weights all the time and it lead to injuries and shorten careers. They were only lifting in one plane, sports is about multiple planes being dynamic with all movements. Since strength coach's like Mike Boyle "on the east coast" and Mark Verstegen from Athletes Performance now EXOS, lifting has come out of the dark ages.

Steve

Thanks for this post! I have GOT to start training. I'm a big fella, 6'4" 320lbs and I live @ 327ft above sea level. I just quit smoking after 9 years of it. I plan on killing an elk by the time I'm 35 and I have a LONG road ahead. But I'm motivated and I will do it!

It is a good thread.Here in the mountains of western Canada, if you want to enjoy it..you better be legged up, before you go.Climbing these rocks , there is no substitute..but everything helps.Luckily, I live in Bighorn Sheep country. For those if you that hunt with horses, the same applies to them.Man or beast, year around fitness is the key.Also anyone can do it, I once horse camped with a 60 year old in a basin here..8 hours of riding , walking and leading a packtrain and his left leg stopped a the knee.Inspiring or what?Just gotta toughen the muscle between your ears.Cheers everybody.

For backpacking and alpine climbing in past years I've mixed weight training and cycling (mountain and road). This has worked well for me because I enjoy the training so much it is not hard to keep it up year round.

This year I've tried something new: CrossFit. My sister-in-law owns a local CrossFit "box" in my home town so I've taken it up and have been doing it since April of this year. I've really been impressed with the fitness and strength results. Working out with others has been fun and motivating.

I've done some scouting trips this summer and I've felt good. I leave for a week long deer hunt in the high country next week. Looking forward to see how the new plan pays off.

A good portion of my physical training this year started with a diet change. I am elimination as many carbs as possible in exchange for fats and proteins. It boosted myetabolism enough that I started moving faster and building muscle. I haven't lifted a weight and am keeping up with the young guys.

I also eliminated sweets and junk food. It really needs to be a lifestyle change, but I dropped 20 pounds in a month.

I like your workout. I have lived in the mountains of British Columbia for over 40 years now and I am a mountain hunter and hiker. I didn't purchase my first ATV until I was into my 50's and I use it mostly when hunting moose in the northern swamps. Over the years I have taken a lot of guys hunting on my favourite routes and found that many of them overestimated their fitness. People who can run five miles a day are not necessarily mountain ready. Going up a steep slope is more like a continuous power lift with your legs and, although being a runner helps you tremendously with cardio and quick recovery from a difficult climb, it doesn't protect you from injury. The best fitness regime for climbing hills in the mountains is climbing hills in the mountains - or as close as you can get to it with what you have. Also, as someone who has gotten used to carrying their rifle when they hike I find if I don't do so when I train (I'm getting old and sometimes I use hiking poles) it takes a while to adapt to carrying again. I really should carry at all times to maintain that connection. I have also found that it is also very important to wear the same footwear, including socks, when training that I intend to go on hunts with. With that in mind I have developed a habit of purchasing identical pairs of boots when I buy them. If you don't you may wear your boots out staying in shape and not have them suitable for a difficult hunt (the grippyest treads wear out quickly). Glad to hear that people of our advanced age are still out there breathing thin air. Good luck on your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.