Phil Mickelson shoots a custom made 6.5 Creedmoor

Please...enlighten us newbies what you saw on that 5 second clip.
His head position is too high for one, watch him move his eye around trying to find the center of the scope. That means his cheek weld doesn't put him immediately lined up with the center of the scope. So, ****** rifle set up. Secondly, watch his finger as he slaps the trigger. No trigger control or follow through.

So, if you know what you are looking at that 5 second clip actually shows quite a lot.

His head position is too high for one, watch him move his eye around trying to find the center of the scope. That means his cheek weld doesn't put him immediately lined up with the center of the scope. So, ****** rifle set up. Secondly, watch his finger as he slaps the trigger. No trigger control or follow through.

So, if you know what you are looking at that 5 second clip actually shows quite a lot.

HMM...and if the BORROWED platform is not set up right...the scope is too high or the cheek piece is too low..then what? Do you "weld you cheek" to the stock anyway and not have a sight picture...because that is what you read somewhere? In 90 % of the lr shooting I do my cheek NEVER touches the stock....because that is not how they are set up.

Again....5 second clip....

Last edited:
...because that is what you read somewhere? In 90 % of the lr shooting I do my cheek NEVER touches the stock....because that is not how they are set up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that a solid cheek weld is a marksmanship fundamental...I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Does a borrowed gun necessitate bad trigger control and lack of follow through? I've never read that...maybe we just read different books.

If you choose not to have a cheek weld at all for your gun that is your choice, benchresters don't use a cheek weld either....but then again, that really isn't marksmanship is it?

"benchresters don't use a cheek weld either....but then again, that really isn't marksmanship is it?"

Really?

How about being able to actually see the target in the scope? Where does that rank in the book you read?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.