Phil and Joel Return From Alaska.

Thanks for the great story and pictures guys. Sounds like you had a blast. Great Ram and Wolf taken as well! I hope in the future I will be able to do one of these trips with some friends of mine as well. Good job changing the minds of your guides and showing them what the LRH guys can do

Great adventure guys! Great pics, that's one big lookin wolf!

Phil, great to see that you had a good adventure. Cause you sure had some crap luck on your first trip. Very nice looking ram you got!

Joel, you ever feel like taking a Canadian along on an adventure up north, well you just let me know!

Congrats again!

Joel and Phil

Congratulations! I know that is spectacular scenery because I hunted sheep twice with Terry. What a colorful character.

On my first hunt my buddy got a nice Dall ram. On both hunts I had to quit early because my knees protested vigorously. I think at least 1/2, probably 3/4 of the knee problem was caused by too many hours on those especially broad horses. Terry buys or breeds them big to be strong in the harsh conditions.

On the second hunt I thought I had it figured out. I would just walk the whole hunt. But...the river bed right at the starting point was flooded. It took us a few hours on horseback to find our way along and finally across the broad river bed which must have had a dozen little streamlets to cross. There was no way to walk it.

We also saw caribou. No wolves. On the second hunt my son had a close encounter with a grizz while on horseback.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Sure is nice to be able to share the hunt with all of you.

I'm probably going to hunt the area again in '09, need to fill that Grizzly tag.
Anyone interested in joining me?

Len, you hit the nail on the head, Terry sure is a colorful character. Been friends with him for years.
His area is 65 miles by 55 miles, and one of the best around.
He's had my heart in my throat in the Supercub more times than I care to remember. Absolutely trust his flying ability.

Terry has a wonderful hunting concession. Lots of game and beautiful scenery.

alaska283.jpg

This shot, from the plane, shows the flooded river bed we had to cross.

alaska305.jpg

Here is my son (right) going off for the day while I stayed in camp nursing my knees

alaska315.jpg

This was a neat little island I shot from the plane

Joel and Phil, you will have great memories. Thanks for jogging mine!

Last edited:
I am illegally hacked into a hotels wireless network from the parking lot here in Lincoln Nebraska. I see the bad luck with the bears continues to dog Phil but it looks like it was a lot of fun.

Congratulations to evrybody.

Called a combo hunt, we opted to hunt sheep, and we were in sheep country. A bear can be found anywhere and we found bear sign high up. A griz would have been a great bonus on this hunt. As was Joel's wolf. A moose was not very likely where and when we were hunting.
Lincoln Neb, will be spending the nite at the Motel Six there in a few weeks. God willing and the river don't rise. On the way to CO for an elk hunt. Its just about 1100 mi from my place, do that the first day out. Then slow down abit and enjoy the scenery.
Have a safe hunt.
Phil

Fun to read about your hunt and look at the nice photos. Congrats on the ram and wolf. That wolf is a rare trophy. I hunted out of Chisana once and that country is beautiful. We saw one wolf also but weren't able to get a shot before he saw us and disappeared. We were able to kill a ram and then later a bull moose. Your hunting story and photos brings back fond memories of that country and of our hunt. Thanks for sharing it with us. You gotta get a rug mount on that wolf... what a beauty. And I see you nailed him with a perfectly placed shot. Way cool!

That is a gorgeous wolf. I've got goosbumps and I'm jealous all at the same time. ;) Sounds like a dream week, riding, humping up some hills and having a chance at taking game in God's country. Glad it worked out well for both of you!

Phil and Joel,

Congrats on a great hunt! Awesome Trophies you guys got and amazing scenery as well. I can only hope to one day venture up north to do some hunting. Thanks again for an awesome story and pics and Great Shooting as well.

What calibers were you both shooting if you dont mind my asking?

ALOHA!!!

Phil and Joe,

Back in early August, I received word that Terry had last minute openings in August and Sept. For 3 weeks we (my best friend and his business partner) researched, called references, asked lots of questions. I was packed and ready to go and the plug got pulled 8 days before the departure date of August 29th. It sounds like had we gone, we would have met the two of you. My questions are as follows.

1. Do you think 3 hunters could make a go of it in one of Terry's camps or would you feel we would need to hunt seperate camps to increase our odds? Possily 2 hunters in 1 camp?

2. The other two guys wish to focus on Grizzly first, Dall 2nd. I don't care which one I shoot first, both would be nice. Would you focus on Dall or Grizzly 1st? Would you say Terry's area is an area which would give a hunter a great chance at a Grizzly. Same question but for a Dall?

3. Would you go back again for Dall? Would you go back again for Grizzly?

4. How was the food?

5. How was the equipment provided?

6. Did you meet Amber?

7. What would you do different if you were to go back?

8. What would you do the same?

9. What gear would you bring next time? What gear would you leave behind? How was Terry's suggested packing list?

10. Did you guys jump on one of Terry's cancelled hunts?

I'm sure I can think of more given the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.