Pheasant load recommendations?

Really depends on the kind hunt you are doing.

I talked to one of our local places just the other day while putting a hunt together for some friends. This is at a set n' get club, not wild drive. For the set n' get, he said 2 3/4 low brass in anything from 6 to 7 1/2 work. I picked up some 1 1/8 #6 lead today at my local shop, only because they didn't have any 1 1/4. Running a modified choke it patterned pretty good at 40 yards. I'll bring some 7's just in case we decide to do some smaller birds also.

If I was going to do a wild drive, I'd go with any of the other recommendations heavier and more powerful shot where the birds will be more energetic.

Really depends on the kind hunt you are doing.

I talked to one of our local places just the other day while putting a hunt together for some friends. This is at a set n' get club, not wild drive. For the set n' get, he said 2 3/4 low brass in anything from 6 to 7 1/2 work. I picked up some 1 1/8 #6 lead today at my local shop, only because they didn't have any 1 1/4. Running a modified choke it patterned pretty good at 40 yards. I'll bring some 7's just in case we decide to do some smaller birds also.

If I was going to do a wild drive, I'd go with any of the other recommendations heavier and more powerful shot where the birds will be more energetic.

on wild birds I ONLY use 3" Hevishot

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts