Pheasant load of choice?

Kent fast lead. I run 3" 12 ga. I shoot turkeys with them as well.

Attachments

• 30416454-FB99-4C2D-9386-2C5D2E72F42F.jpeg
    30416454-FB99-4C2D-9386-2C5D2E72F42F.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 92
I've used #5 bismuth, charged with Longshot powder for the last eight years. They've always been a great load, and were made even better last year when I started buffering them with buffer from Precision Reloading. I hunt enough areas that require non-toxic shot that I decided to just switch to bismuth all the time. It works wonderfully for me.

I use 1 1/4 oz of #5 with Carlson light modified choke 12 ga. for early season. Later I switch to a Carlson improved modified choke. If the birds get really wild, I will go to 1 1/2 oz of #4 with the Imp. Mod. choke. All of the loads are hand loaded to 1250-1280 fps.

I use a Win AA hull, Rem SP wad, 1 1/4 oz of #6 or #5 shot with a #32 powder bushing (about 32.2 grains I think) of Longshot and a Win primer I believe. I load the RED AA hulls with 6s and the GRAY ones with 5s to make things easy to identify. With a modified choke this is a great load for me. 13 roosters this season so far. This year I swithched to loading 3 #5s in the tube and then a #6 and a #6 in the chamber, those 6s really work well for me, more birds are dead, fewer runner than when I used all #5s with improved cylinder. I have noticed, as I read here in a different post, that the #5s (and larger) will mostly pass through the birds, where #6s stay in the bird...I find this very true. I have pulled out more shot from birds this year that the entire season last year using #5s only, after 2 weekends. Come on, no one else rolling their own???
This is almost exactly what I used to do, main difference is I run a full choke on single barrels and stopped loading #6 many years ago and switched to #5 exclusively. I load 1 ounce in the 20ga, #5 only. If using an O/U I will usually put an IM in the bottom and follow that with a full choke in the top barrel.

forgot to say but in my 28 I use 5's and it works quite well. I hunt all wild birds and over my JRT who is a bird killing machine:)

I SWEAR by #5 Prarie Storm's.....Hunt a lot in NE and shoot a lot of birds that I would have passed on for being "too far" that still get wacked!!