Petition to Leupold for MOA reticle

well a FFP reticle would solve your problems, although I am not sure about seeing hits on a rock at 1000 yards. I could see having trouble seeing those with enough exactness to matter beyond 200 yards.

well a FFP reticle would solve your problems, although I am not sure about seeing hits on a rock at 1000 yards. I could see having trouble seeing those with enough exactness to matter beyond 200 yards.

Your exactly right sorry I tried to help.

CC the nice part about moa on the verticle wire is for spotting and calling elevation corrections.

When I go on a western hunt I always shoot to confirm my data, and my turret setting for zero relative to the envirnment. If I take a rock shot at 1000 yards it is easy for my spotter to hold on the point of aim and let me know the moa of error in elevation. If no spotter I can measure moa from the impact mark to the point of aim. Now I know that the husky has horizontal hash marks that span different measurements, but I never carry the scope manual with me so in the field they are near useless for measurements because I don't remember there value.

Moa is simple.

Right on and those troublesome vertical reticle hashes can extend your shooting another 20-30 MOA beyond max elevation turret adjustment for longer shots as well, but if we are all of a sudden worried about seeing hits beyond 200 yards, well...maybe this is the wrong forum...:rolleyes::D

I wouldn't shoot without an MOA optic! Changing over to a NP-R2 style reticule was one of the most positive changes I've ever made in my LR shooting! Also found holding wind just is not as good a deal as it seems, recovering from a shot on an animal and trying to remember what windage bar I was on for a second shot was an epic fail! Dialing windage at longer ranges is the only way for me to fly, more accurate with less things to go wrong.

+1 on what Cowboy said for spotting shots!!

even the nightforce np r1 is way more complicated than it needs to be, DIALING FOR ELEVATION AND HOLDING OFF FOR WIND is the way to go, even for tactical shooters, I am somewhat surprised there is such demand for these crazy reticles. then again alot of tactical market is monkey see monkey do and more about looks than how well it functions.

the horus reticle doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you have a scope with some easy to use target turrets.

all we need is a duplex reticle with MOA wind hold offs, thats it, its that simple fineatto. the huskemaw reticle is the one I think of as being perfect, as it offers some ranging abilities but isn't near as cluttered as the graybull scope.

leupold does offer m5 adjustments in some scopes which is .1 mil which is almost 1/3moa.

if you have a good turret setup you don't need ANY marks on the vertical crosshairs. I am still trying to figure out why there are marks on the crosshairs on the top vertical wire. I also think a FFP reticle would be best as well.

There really are alot of uses for the moa reticle and having marks on the vertical wire.

First off, some of us used to make long range shots way before rangefinders were available and those marks on the vertical wire really help with ranging and holdover..................these electronic devises don't always work 100% of the time, whereas the reticle will always be there.

Secondly, there's a ton of scopes out there that don't track with the adjustments the way they should or the way they advertise. I've lost count of the scope I've personally seen that don't move the poi the advetised amount.
If we can hold 10 and only have to dial an additional 1 or 2, we're way better off sometimes (if we happen to own one of those bad trackers).

Third, even if you're using a rangefinder, we can better estimate the size of our target by a simple calculation using the reticle. Just because someone is hitting rocks at 1100 yds, doesn't mean they're gonna connect on a rockchuck or coyote at that distance............the rock might be 3' tall!!! only way to know for sure is to go look at it up close, or use the hash marks to calculate it's height.

These are just a few of the reasons to have a moa scope with marks on both the vertical and horizontal wire..........more than "monkey see monkey do".

Are you saying that long range hunters are not serious? If so that is total BS.

Leupold's optics will not hold a Candle to S&B Swarovski top end Zeiss ot Nightforce IME and the canted reticules new out of the box is just too much to put up with

I'm not saying we are not "serious" — quite the opposite. I'm saying that Leupold is targeting hunters that want something better than the Simmons/Bushnell/Nikon crowd, hunters that are serious about wanting something better & will pay for something better, but mostly for use inside of 500 yards.

Most on this site are beyond this "serious" level & are more aptly labelled (myself included) "extremists". That's why we even talk about two, three, or even five thousand dollar scopes.

I will differ on one other point: Although NightForce scopes have much better mechanisms with much more adjustment & heavier-duty tubes, the latest tests I've seen show Leupold's glass & coatings (at least on their better scopes) are better than NightForce. Neither Leupold nor NightForce compares well with Swarovski or Zeiss for clarity.

ok I can see the value in what some of you are saying about the vertical hashes, BUT WHY DO THEY NEED TO BE ON THE UPPER VERTICAL POST what purpose would those serve, other than looking tacticoool.

so if a reticle had the heavy posts on the ends, with say up to 6 minutes of marked hashes on the windage wire and only on the BOTTOM wire that would be the consensus??

put all this in an FFP reticle.

ok I can see the value in what some of you are saying about the vertical hashes, BUT WHY DO THEY NEED TO BE ON THE UPPER VERTICAL POST what purpose would those serve, other than looking tacticoool.

so if a reticle had the heavy posts on the ends, with say up to 6 minutes of marked hashes on the windage wire and only on the BOTTOM wire that would be the consensus??

put all this in an FFP reticle.

The lines above the recticle allow one to use them for a close range zero. I often zero my scope with MOA reticles with the 2 MOA mark above the reticle

I'm not saying we are not "serious" — quite the opposite. I'm saying that Leupold is targeting hunters that want something better than the Simmons/Bushnell/Nikon crowd, hunters that are serious about wanting something better & will pay for something better, but mostly for use inside of 500 yards.

Most on this site are beyond this "serious" level & are more aptly labelled (myself included) "extremists". That's why we even talk about two, three, or even five thousand dollar scopes.

I will differ on one other point: Although NightForce scopes have much better mechanisms with much more adjustment & heavier-duty tubes, the latest tests I've seen show Leupold's glass & coatings (at least on their better scopes) are better than NightForce. Neither Leupold nor NightForce compares well with Swarovski or Zeiss for clarity.

The only test of optics that matter to me are mine, the ones where I actually look through the scopes in low light and in shadows. Having personally tested Leupy VX3 against my older Nightforces scopes I put Nightforce ahead opticaly. S&B and Zeiss Davari being tops. Have not done a side by side with a Swarovski yet

The lines above the recticle allow one to use them for a close range zero. I often zero my scope with MOA reticles with the 2 MOA mark above the reticle

so I guess this goes to show noone is going to be happy, I still say the majority of people aren't going to use the marks above the windage wire.

so I guess this goes to show noone is going to be happy, I still say the majority of people aren't going to use the marks above the windage wire.

I use the marks above the cross hair every time I line one up, cross hair is where I want to hit and then I check how the animal is bracketed, it works good for me. Another thing is for closer shots I know to what mark my bullet trajectory will rise, if it's on fur I know I'm GTG.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.