Petition to Leupold for MOA reticle

I've never seen any data or reviews showing a Sightron had glass (or coatings) better than Leupold. Did I miss something or was this an "exaggeration"?
Have you looked through an SIII such as the 6-24 next to a Leupold 6.5-20 or 8.5-24?

Leupold has a way of resting on it's reputation for sales. It is being passed over, by inovators in the market. This will eventually be there down fall, as well as the cheapening up of the vx-1- and 2 lines. NF and Vortex even Nikons outsell Leupolds in my shop. I no longer stock 1 and 2's as the quality has vanished. Nikon can at least put the reticle in the tube within a degree of verticle.

The sales of general 3x9 hunting scopes is dependent largley on new hunters. 50% of WI deer hunters will only ever own one deer rifle. The guys who are into LRH, regular target shooting, rock busting, PD busting, ect. will buy and use more product than 10 individual traditional deer hunters in one year.

When companys offer the New and inovative things shooters want, that is where they will go. Sorry Leupold.

I have sent 4 leupys back to custom shop for m1 nobs and reticle changes and i Have asked every time about getting a custom tmr reticle in moa instead of mil and they act clueless . I am have another vx3 ready to send really considering going Tmr and .10 mil dials . Not to highjack this thread but has anybody used there new mil dials?

I vote for MOA reticle too

Sorry but the Chinese are having problems with the MOA Trype Wreticle. Should be fisked soon Loopy will then use them............

I have sent 4 leupys back to custom shop for m1 nobs and reticle changes and i Have asked every time about getting a custom tmr reticle in moa instead of mil and they act clueless . I am have another vx3 ready to send really considering going Tmr and .10 mil dials . Not to highjack this thread but has anybody used there new mil dials?

I vote for MOA reticle too
I am using them, not much time on them yet, but it makes sense to have reticule match turret. I like mils becuase it takes less turns to get yardage. I also use the tmr for holds to 825, it is very similar to the ART reticule

I too have talk to Leupold about the lack of a MOA reticle.
If one was available I would buy multipile scopes.

Leupold is really missing the bus on this one!!!!!!!!!!

I too have talk to Leupold about the lack of a MOA reticle.
If one was available I would buy multipile scopes.

Leupold is really missing the bus on this one!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing new, they've been missing the boat for years

Last edited:
Leupold's business model is not aimed at being the small specialty scope manufacturer focussed on the small portion of the population playing OUR game. They are aimed at being the dominant scope manufacturer for serious hunters. But give Leupold their due, their scopes have improved greatly over the last 30 years. Their glass & coatings now rival European scopes & they are now offering CDS turrets as well as the VX7 turret for those who dial in range. They are moving our direction. They now have many products suitable for longer range shooting & I expect their next models will include versions set up for long range shooting.

even the nightforce np r1 is way more complicated than it needs to be, DIALING FOR ELEVATION AND HOLDING OFF FOR WIND is the way to go, even for tactical shooters, I am somewhat surprised there is such demand for these crazy reticles. then again alot of tactical market is monkey see monkey do and more about looks than how well it functions.

the horus reticle doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you have a scope with some easy to use target turrets.

all we need is a duplex reticle with MOA wind hold offs, thats it, its that simple fineatto. the huskemaw reticle is the one I think of as being perfect, as it offers some ranging abilities but isn't near as cluttered as the graybull scope.

leupold does offer m5 adjustments in some scopes which is .1 mil which is almost 1/3moa.

if you have a good turret setup you don't need ANY marks on the vertical crosshairs. I am still trying to figure out why there are marks on the crosshairs on the top vertical wire. I also think a FFP reticle would be best as well.

Leupold's business model is not aimed at being the small specialty scope manufacturer focussed on the small portion of the population playing OUR game. They are aimed at being the dominant scope manufacturer for serious hunters. But give Leupold their due, their scopes have improved greatly over the last 30 years. Their glass & coatings now rival European scopes & they are now offering CDS turrets as well as the VX7 turret for those who dial in range. They are moving our direction. They now have many products suitable for longer range shooting & I expect their next models will include versions set up for long range shooting.

Are you saying that long range hunters are not serious? If so that is total BS.

Leupold's optics will not hold a Candle to S&B Swarovski top end Zeiss ot Nightforce IME and the canted reticules new out of the box is just too much to put up with

even the nightforce np r1 is way more complicated than it needs to be, DIALING FOR ELEVATION AND HOLDING OFF FOR WIND is the way to go, even for tactical shooters, I am somewhat surprised there is such demand for these crazy reticles. then again alot of tactical market is monkey see monkey do and more about looks than how well it functions.

the horus reticle doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if you have a scope with some easy to use target turrets.

all we need is a duplex reticle with MOA wind hold offs, thats it, its that simple fineatto. the huskemaw reticle is the one I think of as being perfect, as it offers some ranging abilities but isn't near as cluttered as the graybull scope.

leupold does offer m5 adjustments in some scopes which is .1 mil which is almost 1/3moa.

if you have a good turret setup you don't need ANY marks on the vertical crosshairs. I am still trying to figure out why there are marks on the crosshairs on the top vertical wire. I also think a FFP reticle would be best as well.

CC the nice part about moa on the verticle wire is for spotting and calling elevation corrections.

When I go on a western hunt I always shoot to confirm my data, and my turret setting for zero relative to the envirnment. If I take a rock shot at 1000 yards it is easy for my spotter to hold on the point of aim and let me know the moa of error in elevation. If no spotter I can measure moa from the impact mark to the point of aim. Now I know that the husky has horizontal hash marks that span different measurements, but I never carry the scope manual with me so in the field they are near useless for measurements because I don't remember there value.

Moa is simple.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.