Petition to Leupold for MOA reticle

Do you sell the pixie dust seperately, by chance? :D

Have you guys considered putting your reticle in a M4? If you had that option, I may have bit a year ago vs. going with the NF. There's alot of guys here that want the toughest scopes made, as you know, not to knock the VX3 at all, just saying...

Have you guys considered making and selling as an option an MOA reticle like the NF NPR1? ...another reason I went with NF...but I did not appreciate the weight of the NF. I woulda been very happy, I think, with an M4 with true MOA (by this I mean and NPR1) reticle. I know your reticle is MOA, but there is a 3 MOA gap from the center of the cross hairs to where your rangefinding MOA lines start, is there not? If you stuck (easier said than done, I realize) a couple of 1 MOA hashes in there, I bet you may find a wider market.

We do sell pixie dust separately. Its delivered and sprinkled at night by invisible wood sprites. Just send the check and trust that the next morning all will be well.

No plans on a Mark 4 or any reticle changes. Our set-up with Leupold is unique and aside from what we want, there are qty, engineering, & pricing issues that also dictate what is possible and viable.

Derek: Its a common question we get about the reticle being busy. Its much cleaner, smaller, and finer in real life than the videos depict and folks that had that concern are pleased with it when they look through the real thing. Working on a way to show it accurately in video graphics and still keep it big enough so folks can see how the marks work.

This thread isn't about us and its getting a bit hijacked (my bad). If anyone has a question for us shoot me PM or an email through our web site..

Yes this is true. Greybull Leupold = $1150, Optics Planet (fact Leupold) = $759 + $150 trip to the custom shop for the proposed reticle= cheaper still. Also having the ability to get it in another power offering, better still. The point is drive a demand for a factory offering. Nice plug though.

**EDIT** Being able to change loads, elevation, and temperature with out having to reorder turrets, and being limited to 1/3 MOA adjustment= Priceless.

I followed up on this post tonight, and was a bit surprised with my response to Mr. Wards post.

It must have been my time of the month, cause tonight I was a bit ashamed of my frankness and temporary loss of professionalism.

Therefore, I would like to publiclly apologise to Mr. Ward for my "quick to jump" response, as he offered a viable solution to the problem that I identified in this thread.

We still want our factory reticle though.:)

frankly, I think Leupold is decent glass and their customer service is 2nd to none, but I've seen better scopes for less money. And, if I'm going to spend over a certain amount, then I'm going with Zeiss or NF. My Conquests are superior to my Leupolds in the same magnification. I'd buy a Nikon over another Leupold.

I can agree with everything but the last part as Nikons are definitely inferior to Leupolds. How many of you have had Leupolds fail? Now ask the same about Nikons & the number will skyrocket.

I definitely want to see Leupold offer a reticle similar to the Horus H30 reticles. I would get several scopes retrofitted & buy several more.

I definitely want to see Leupold offer a reticle similar to the Horus H30 reticles. I would get several scopes retrofitted & buy several more.

They are coming from a discussion about a year ago I had with Ray Brock, Tactical line manager. The two companies were forming some kind of partnership back then, from what I could tell.

Personally, I'm not fond of them. Even their own video is not speaking to first round hits: http://www.horusvision.com/img/clocktowersniper_3.swf Not that they don't have a use.

I've gone through this simulator several times: http://www.horusvision.com/img/hrsgame.swf trying to understand how this system would work for longrange hunting. It may work, it just seems pretty limiting to changing environmental conditions and you seem to need to know the exact size of your target. Appears to be more geared toward police or combat sniper situations.

Just didn't do it for me, but what do I know...

They are coming from a discussion about a year ago I had with Ray Brock, Tactical line manager. The two companies were forming some kind of partnership back then, from what I could tell.

Personally, I'm not fond of them. Even their own video is not speaking to first round hits: http://www.horusvision.com/img/clocktowersniper_3.swf Not that they don't have a use.

I've gone through this simulator several times: http://www.horusvision.com/img/hrsgame.swf trying to understand how this system would work for longrange hunting. It may work, it just seems pretty limiting to changing environmental conditions and you seem to need to know the exact size of your target. Appears to be more geared toward police or combat sniper situations.

Just didn't do it for me, but what do I know...

The Horus reticles take Ballistic reticles to their obvious end by creating a "generic" ballistic reticle for both bullet drop & wind drift that can then be translated to fit any load, in any environment, so long as you have the ballistic information for what you are shooting to plug into your PDA or laptop. Drift & drop charts can then be printed to tape to your stock for hunting. In a police/sniper situation the PDA would sit beside you & there would be no need for printing off tables.

This system has only one main advantage over cranking turrets: your scope is always set, with an appropriate point of aim, for shots at any distance. So when you were zeroing in on the muley at 873 yards & a nicer one walks out at 179 yards you don't have to mess with your scope, simply pick your point of aim & shoot.

Leupold's Boone & Crocket reticle approximates this out to 500 yards, with limited wind-drift offsets. The other option would be for Leupold to continue the Boone & Crocket reticle as far as their lens will allow. If Leupold could get their reticle to 1,200 yards or more, most of us would say that's enough for our purposes. It would then be up to us to determine what the true ranges are for each reticle demarcation with our loads.

This system has only one main advantage over cranking turrets: your scope is always set, with an appropriate point of aim, for shots at any distance. So when you were zeroing in on the muley at 873 yards & a nicer one walks out at 179 yards you don't have to mess with your scope, simply pick your point of aim & shoot.

Can you explain how this would work (steps involved) with a Horus reticle?

I work with a guy who has ties to engineering at Leupold. I'll get him to ask for the MOA from that end.

After some farther discussion with some people who claim to know stuff, there may be a local Oregonian gunsmith who may own some rights to a reticle similar to what is being asked for.

Last edited:
I am all in on this one! I would gladly send in my Mark 4 TMR for a MOA replacement! Possibly even send in the VX-7 VH reticle for a MOA replacement!

Something along the lines of 1 moa on the vertical and 1 to 2 moa on the horizontal. Seems like they could take the TMR and just change the spacing to moa's instead of mills?

I would be all for this if they would only do it.

While we're on the subject, and if it would take a total overhaul, then why not just do "shooters moa" or IPHY.
Seriously, those of us that use reticles for ranging or holdover or even follow up shots, usually are actually thinking in terms of IPHY anyway. It's way easier to visualize and mentally calculate, not to mention faster! That way, 20 IPHY worth of clicks would actually (theoretically) move the poi 20" instead of 21 at 100 yds. Holding over 10 IPHY at 800 yds would then be simply 80" instead of 83.7". Ranging would be far more accurate and much simpler with IPHY and I believe most decent ballistic programs have an output option for IPHY.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold your breath guys. You know how many YEARS!!!! it took them to finally put Mil knobs on their scopes to match their Mil reticles? They seem disinterested in providing what users want as long as people (most of whom don't know any better) keep buying what they make. A new reticle is not that expensive or difficult to do if they had any desire.

Anyway I think Sightron has just made the whole issue moot for all you SFP MOA fans—check this out!

New Sightron Products

Better glass and price than Leupold anyway. Nice reticle, matching knobs, lots of travel, accurate tracking.

Anyway I think Sightron has just made the whole issue moot for all you SFP MOA fans—check this out!

New Sightron Products

Better glass and price than Leupold anyway. Nice reticle, matching knobs, lots of travel, accurate tracking.

I've never seen any data or reviews showing a Sightron had glass (or coatings) better than Leupold. Did I miss something or was this an "exaggeration"?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.