Peterson 300WM Brass?

I have a question, because I don't know the answer, and I need too. Will the long brass make a huge difference in the way our rifles shoot? What are the advantages of the long brass? The reason I am asking is I think I'm going to try and cancel my order and just wait for it to come back around.

See this description from earlier thread.
Link: Peterson 300 long
Now that you reminded me, I do remember reading that before, but I guess the significance of that article did not really sink home until I read it again. Thanks for helping me understand this better. I will cancel my order and wait for the better long version to come back around. I don't have a shortage of 300WM brass, so I can afford to wait.

Got some yesterday from Graf&Sons $61.99per box of 50. It's shipped in its own plastic ammo box you can reuse nice touch.

Attachments

• DC98E23F-F700-40C7-9B2F-4F270762CF69.jpeg
    DC98E23F-F700-40C7-9B2F-4F270762CF69.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
Got some yesterday from Graf&Sons $61.99per box of 50. It's shipped in its own plastic ammo box you can reuse nice touch.
Mine came today. Kudos to Graf & Sons for their packaging. The two full ammo boxes were placed in a box-in a box- in a box, kinda like Nesting Dolls. I'll get around to inspection measurements this week, but they all do seem to have been annealed properly and have proper flash holes without burrs. And of course no dented necks !!!!
When compared with other new brands SIG, AMMO Inc, GFL, Nosler, JAG, Barnes, Rem, Win, one can definitely see the difference in length to shoulder.

Hoping that Peterson carries this over to 7RM and other 375H&H parents. I know my 7RM fireforms @ .019 after a few loads. The Nosler brass just can't be pushed too hard due to pocket life.

All 300 Win Mag brass can headspace off the shoulder, after the 1st firing, if you resize correctly.

Run the Peterson long brass through a sizing die wrong (or, correctly, depending on your perspective) and it'll be spacing off the belt, just like regular 300 Win brass.

We need someone to make 300 Win Long dies or most a lot of people that buy this brass are going to mess it up and make it 300 Win "short" brass.

Last edited:
All 300 Win Mag brass can headspace off the shoulder, after the 1st firing, if you resize correctly.

Run the Peterson long brass through a sizing die wrong (or, correctly, depending on your perspective) and it'll be spacing off the belt, just like regular 300 Win brass.

We need someone to make 300 Win Long dies or most a lot of people that buy this brass are going to mess it up and make it 300 Win "short" brass.
I don't think it's a problem for experienced handloaders.
Dies are also available custom to fully fire formed brass from most die manufacturers. But regular dies work pretty well for me.
For the guy who smashes his Peterson long brass back to SAAMI ammo datum length, Peterson would be glad to sell him more.

I don't think it's a problem for experienced handloaders.
Dies are also available custom to fully fire formed brass from most die manufacturers. But regular dies work pretty well for me.
For the guy who smashes his Peterson long brass back to SAAMI ammo datum length, Peterson would be glad to sell him more.
I agree 100%. I'm not so sure it's obvious to everyone this brass is only special for the 1st firing. Someone needed to point it out. Admittedly, I'm being "that guy" right now.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. I'm not so sure it's obvious to everyone this brass is only special for the 1st firing. Admittedly, I'm being "that guy" right now.
[/QUOTE
At some point we'll hear about someone having trouble FL sizing "long brass" and pictures to back it up. I think it would be rare. They just need to read the description and buy it knowing full well, they just need to bump .002 after firing and good to go.
My 7RM brass took numerous firings with an intermediate anneal to get the fireforming consistent within .001. I did a lot of measuring/recording variations in .003 or more before that anneal.

I was curious about this subject, so I contacted Peterson Cartridge Company and here is their response.

My question to them

What dies do you use for resizing and how do I keep from over sizing my new brass. I. E. Making it like the
standard brass?

> Thank you for reaching out to us with your inquiry. You use the regular .300 Win Mag dies. You are not going to over size our .300 Win Mag Long cases. The dies are designed to give minimal shoulder bump on the .300 Win Mag cases. They will never be able to size them down to a standard unfired .300 Win Mag case. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
>
> Ben Preston
> Retail Manage
Peterson Cartridge Company
> www.petersoncartridge.com
> Office: (724) 940-7552 Ext. 205
> Cell: (724) 967-797