Personal Location Beacons, whats the best (service) out there.

This is what my wife uses here in New Zealand. They are available in the USA and are about the smallest unit available.

The batteries last 7 years and can be replaced. Here in NZ once you have bought it and registered it there are no further charges and I think the same applies in the US.

It is staggering how many hunters and trampers have been saved here in NZ because they took a PLB along for the walk.

I hope this helps.

Check out the Garmin InReach. It does all you could need.....GPS, SOS, Texting, Mapping, Base Camp, Sharing movements with friends and long lasting battery.

Been using mine for about 5 years, works great. My son borrowed mine for Artic hunt and I stayed in touch with every day.

I'm another one that's super happy with my InReach.

Thankfully I haven't had to use the emergency function yet, but the ability to call for help packing a moose 4 miles out over a mountain range was pretty invaluable. Also used it to call a water taxi to get my wife and I back to civilization after a gear malfunction while camping. We probably woundnt have died, but we'd have been miserable and probably sick from the cold and wet otherwise.

I tend to do most of my hunting solo, on foot, and pretty remote (easy to do here in Alaska) so my wife being able to make sure I'm still alive without bothering me (just hitting the "update location" button on the web map she logs on to) and knowing we can both contact each other if needed, gives her enough peace of mind to allow me to do more hunting 😁

I carry this with me even on short hikes.

Nearly every place I hunt has no cell service. This is not a communication device. It does only one thing. Let's the SAR folks know who you are, where you are. Good anywhere in the world. No service fees.

And, it's not just for me. Anyone who is with me or who I might come across who is down will benefit.

You'll need to define "best" based on the features that are important to you. They range from an emergency-only device with no subscription like the two already described above in this thread to devices that include a subscription and mix of additional services.

At the satellite text-level services, I like both the Garmin InReach Mini and the Zoleo. The Zoleo looks better if casual text communication back home is the priority (more messages for base cost). The Mini looks better if you want a mix of text messages and other features like tracking yourself and posting such things so others can see. There's a thread in this forum discussing the Zoleo (which is newer). https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/zoleo-experience.248472/

Above the satellite text-level service you're looking at satellite phones. Depends what's important to you.

I'm looking at the spot x. It has some, texting, tracking and I think a text email. $200 plus a service.

I'm going to let my 12 year old keep it in his pack just in case. Battery life looks good

@jebel this is the crux

You'll need to define "best"

All of these units will serve the purpose. It's just a matter of deciding what features you want/need.

I have the basic worldwide Resqlink "I've fallen and I can't get up" unit.

However, I once spent two weeks on a river float hunt with a sat phone but if I were doing it again I'd have a PLB that tracks me and has text capability.

I used an in reach through work as a lone worker.
It is a good thing but we were told the texting and email was expensive, won't matter if you need it use it.

The advantage is the options to request help or check in without hitting an emergency SOS button.

I used an in reach through work as a lone worker.
It is a good thing but we were told the texting and email was expensive, won't matter if you need it use it.

The advantage is the options to request help or check in without hitting an emergency SOS button.
The spot cost me $120 for a year service. I get 20 messages month. .25 cents after that. Already used it on the job when the concrete mixer driver was lost and I had no cell service.. I texted the dispatch and got it straight.

Gunna be nice for my 12 year old if he gets lost. 10 day stand by on battery. Well just leave it off and use it as plan c