Personal limits shooting off sticks standing

I've been shooting off hand all my life in Silhouette competition so I'm used to taking shots without sticks at various distances. With sticks out to 600m is not a problem for me, practice will get you there, lots and lots of practice.

Lean a little in to them and make sure they are well set on the ground, depending the terrain they might lean a bit to the side. Sometimes you'll have time to adjust sometimes you won't. So practice with one leg shorter than the other to simulate the different terrains and scenarios you might run in to.

I would also recomment you practice offhand without the sticks, then shooting with sticks will feel easier, at least it did for me when I started using sticks, and I don't always use them.

Hope this helps.

years back I attended a State Silhouette match my club was sponsoring , I didn't shoot I was working for my club , after the match a Shooter let me hold his Silhouette rifle , I figure 8 ed each and every target, Free/style is the Game and iv'e got Nothing but Praise & Respect for each and every shooter , wow their sooooooooooooooooo talented & great people to boot!!!. thks LVJ76 great post cheers all back to Subject !!!

About 20 some odd years ago I used to shoot with some old timers fairly regular. Two of them could go 5 for 5 on 8 inch steel at 350 yards standing with nothing but a tight sling. A tip they gave me, besides how to actually use a sling to shoot, was to make small controlled figure 8s with the reticle. Concentrating more on correct trigger control than where the crosshairs were on the target, settle into the slow rythtm and just let the shot brake natural. Works pretty well for me on steel but I've never tried it on big game, I can usually find some kind of support.
Yep!

years back I attended a State Silhouette match my club was sponsoring , I didn't shoot I was working for my club , after the match a Shooter let me hold his Silhouette rifle , I figure 8 ed each and every target, Free/style is the Game and iv'e got Nothing but Praise & Respect for each and every shooter , wow their sooooooooooooooooo talented & great people to boot!!!. thks LVJ76 great post cheers all back to Subject !!!

I was lucky my dad was in to it when I was growing up in Mexico. Over there in order to have huting privileges you need to be part of a Shooting club and the shooting done down there is mostly silhouette. I gotta say it's tons of fun and it is hard, takes lots of practice to get good at it and back to the subject.

great topic,great answers,i'm frugal so ive built my own one 7 foot just using two square 5/8 thick pices riped on a table saw, then sanded the edges with 60/80 grain sandpaper, then used a quarter inch bolt1.5 inch long with a washer in between the 2 wood pices, drill hole 4.5 inchs from the ends insert bolt tighten it up then ducktape the ends that hold the stock of your rifle . lite and handy ,built 2nd cross stick rest same way but much shorter for shooting out of a blind window, use a tape measure to get your height rite for sitting on a chair or pale , cost nill , save money for components . distance 200/225 yrds, better yet is a 3 legger tripod that will stop left & right movement yet still be light enough to take along , like the home made ones you see them using in Africa , cheers
I made a set for sitting out of 3/8 fiberglass fence rods. Put some 3/8 fuel line on top and towards bottom to keep from banging together. If you do internet search you can find how to tie them together with paracord. They came out real nice even covered them with camp duct tape. I bought the bog pod for standing cause there retractable

About 20 some odd years ago I used to shoot with some old timers fairly regular. Two of them could go 5 for 5 on 8 inch steel at 350 yards standing with nothing but a tight sling. A tip they gave me, besides how to actually use a sling to shoot, was to make small controlled figure 8s with the reticle. Concentrating more on correct trigger control than where the crosshairs were on the target, settle into the slow rythtm and just let the shot brake natural. Works pretty well for me on steel but I've never tried it on big game, I can usually find some kind of support.
I've heard of guys using this technique I'll have to give it a try. To be honest it almost feels easier to keep crosshairs on something that moving. I've got in to mess of scattering hogs with 6.8 AR and managed to kill four

What's some of your guys distance limits shooting off bipod shooting sticks while standing. Mine seems to be around 160yds at 10in gong.
I've been practicing by using a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06 both sitting and standing, shooting prairie dogs. I can hit pretty consistently sitting out to around 300 yards and around 200 plus yards standing. Its a good way to practice, and I can probably hit a 10inch plate at around 400 yards sitting now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.