Personal best at 600yards

matt_3479

1.25"-1.5" 3 shot group at 615 yards!!!

Saturday took a buddy out who's never done long range shooting to do a little target practise. The rifle I brought gave me problems when it got back to the gun smith after being built. I tried everything I could, 3 powders, 3 bullets, felt like 100 different seating depths and couldn't get it to shoot better then 1.5"-2" at 100 yards. I sent it back and turned out my stupid a** mixed up my old broken ring with my new ones and it wouldn't secure the scope properly.

So first time taking this rifle past 100 yards (I shot at 100 yards a month early to zero and double check the rifle was shooting fine) I set up target number 1 at 466 yards. Estimated veloctiy at 2800fps, doped my scope and was hitting target right off the bat, little high though. Got the buddy behind the rifle and got him comfortable with shooting that distance and then we stepped out to 615 yards.

Recalibrated my dope after impacts were high, plugged new data into ballistics app and re-doped the scope. Got him shooting at the big 12" gong until we had 6 rounds left. I jumped behind the gun and fired 3 at the 12" to see how new dope lined up. Looked pretty good and settled in behind the rifle ready to squeeze off the last 3 at the 8". First shot landed pretty centre mass, second round looked to of landed on top of it, and third shot looked a hair higher. Drove down and took a quick measurement (caliper battery dead so sorry about the measuring tape.)

It certainly is fun when it all comes together. Paint those gongs white and you will be able to see your hits from the bench.

Oops I guess I forgot to leave out the firearm used. I'll edit that.

Rifle used was a custom build 260. Pushing 140gr hornady Amax. I brought the calipers out to measure but battery died and all I had at the current time was a 22lr for size comparison lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.