perfect scope for 338 WM. ?

Let's bring this thread back. I'm curious what people are using now days (almost six years later). What are the thoughts on Leupold vs. all the previously mentioned $1,000.00 and up scopes?

I'd just put one of the Leupold M-8 4X I have on mine (like I have on a Ruger 338 converted to 358 Norma), but it I had a 2.5-8 already, why not?

Swarovoski Z3 4-12x50 simple, super clear, light, and enough for 600. That's where my loads drop below 2000fps or are getting close.

Landkiller, As our elk hunting can require shots measured in a few feet to many hundreds of yards, we use a variable scope with a relatively low power option on the bottom end. The vast majority of elk are taken at well under 800 yards. So...a high magnification scope is not necessary!

We use a Leupold 3.5-10 with CDS system, with "zero stop" turrets. We feel that this should be capable out to our self imposed range limit.....and then some! We also went with a 40 mm objective lense, trying to minimize scope size and height above the rifle bore! memtb

I have a Leupold VX6 2-12x42 on my 6.5x55 and love it. It is great for up close, and can reach out well also. It also doesn't have a parallax adjustment so that is 1 less thing to worry about in the heat of the moment.

I have a couple Burris veracity 3x15x50 as well that are newer to me, but i am likely alot. One of those is on a 300 weatherby mag, and it was driving tracks at 500 yards in practice.

Vortex 1.5x8, Leupold 1.5x5 or 2x7 or 2.5x8. Lots of folks like the 3.5x10 too. 3x9 is also a good all around scope. I suppose if one wants to shoot past 400yds, more power or ability to dial them in is fun.

Nightforce 2.5-10X42
10 power will easily get you out to 1k and 2.5 is great for hunting thick cover. Having a scope with the lower end being in the 4.5-5.5 range is too much for close shots in cover.

Leupold VX6 3-18x44 with the B&C reticle illuminated. Nice bold reticle for dark stuff, with quick holdovers to 450 or so. 3X is good up close, and 18X to as far as you want to shoot. The B&C reticle may look thick, but it will Quarter a 5" 'diamond' shaped target at 1100 yards. Put the CDS on it, and dial away. Really versatile scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.