Peregrine "Hog" Bullet

WildRose

Well as hogs become the scourge of ranchers and farmers all over a broad swath of the US Peregrine has finished their "HOG" bullet which is a project that's been in development for several years now.

This is yet another of their monolithic red copper expanding bullets with something of a twist. These have a large hollow point cavity which is cross cut to guarantee complete opening at handgun and lever gun velocities.

Peregrine Hog_1.jpg

Consider the damage this thing will do spinning at 30,000 rpm's or so as it cuts it's way through even the nastiest of hogs.

I've been shooting Federal's HST LE Ammo in my .45acp and .40 S&W for several years as a backup hog weapon and to carry on bird hunts "just in case" and quite frankly it's simply not going to get the job done even with good body shots unless you just keep pumping them in to the poor porkers which is not my ideal "go to" plan in an emergency.

These are specifically designed to function flawlessly in both revolvers and lever guns so I'm probably going to get some to load for at least the .45acp, .40 S&W, and 45-70. Looks like an awesome choice as well for bear defense.

They make them in a number of calibers and weights. If I had a .450 Bushmaster or similar AR for hog hunting I'd love to see how they'd perform in that platform as well.

Hog type "Expanding Bullet" – Medium to low velocity – Handgun and Lever Action Rifle
Short range extremely lethal hunting. Price effective expandable nose. Typical Velocity Application 1200fps to 1900fps

• Very effective and accurate hunting bullet.
• Lead Free Bullet. Environment friendly.
• Pin-point accuracy, precision manufactured bullet.
• Increased velocity and less recoil in comparison with lead-core bullets.
• Can be shot at much higher velocities than jacketed bullets.

http://peregrinebullets.co.za/?page_id=6643
Peregrine Hog_1.jpg

It's nice to see we're getting some interesting alternatives in the market specifically designed for what we're doing. WR

The Hog also known as Hog Master bullet is an accurate and high performance bullet specifically designed for hunting with Magnum Handguns and Lever Action Rifles. This is an extremely lethal bullet similar in performance to the SD range for Self Defence bullets but slightly heavier for the increased penetration required to hunt larger frame animals. Expect this very popular bullet to exceed your wildest expectations. It also comes with the trade mark low shot start pressure, low recoil and increased muzzle velocity common to Peregrine Bullets products.

They have some load data on their site, I haven't looked to see what there is for this particular bullet.

There are fortunately quite a few bullets on the market with similar profiles and composition so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too big of a challenge to find some workable starter loads.

I may see if I can get him to send me some samples to run in my 45-70 Marlin Lever gun what are you running?

They have some load data on their site, I haven't looked to see what there is for this particular bullet.

There are fortunately quite a few bullets on the market with similar profiles and composition so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too big of a challenge to find some workable starter loads.

I may see if I can get him to send me some samples to run in my 45-70 Marlin Lever gun what are you running?

I've got a 20" barrelled Chiappa Alaskan in .44 mag

Don't shoot a big boar in the shoulder shield area with that bullet it may fail to penetrate adequately due to too fast expansion . Otherwise it should work ok .

Where I come from no one would consider using that kind of bullet on a real big wild boar on the shoulder . I have seen 308 winchester 130 grain hollow points fail to penetrate the shield properly and the pig runs off . I have skinned pigs and found old bent up 303 215 grain FMJ bullets under the shield . Fast expansion can work against you in some situations and even a FMJ can fail .

Last edited:
Don't shoot a big boar in the shoulder shield area with that bullet it may fail to penetrate adequately due to too fast expansion . Otherwise it should work ok .
I really doubt over penetration would be a problem with these as the are a solid red copper alloy. Might be worth it to try on just one big boar to see but anything I'd be shooting with these will probably be in the 250-350gr range.

They've been pretty thoroughly tested in Africa already on warthogs, feral hogs, and bush pigs all of which are pretty tough critters.

We've got more hogs right now and bigger hogs than I've ever seen in more than thirty years hunting this area so we have plenty to experiment on.

Where I come from no one would consider using that kind of bullet on a real big wild boar on the shoulder . I have seen 308 winchester 130 grain hollow points fail to penetrate the shield properly and the pig runs off . I have skinned pigs and found old bent up 303 215 grain FMJ bullets under the shield . Fast expansion can work against you in some situations and even a FMJ can fail .
I put a 7mm 161gr VLR through ten inches of bone, shield, and shoulder yesterday from the STW on a nice size boar at 420 yards so I suspect that's not going to be an issue with these either especially coming out of the 44 mag, 375 Ruger, or 45-70. I'm likely to get an opportunity with all three before long so we'll see. WR