People dogging Long Range Hunters/Shooters

PrimeTime

Hate to speak in a negative fashion, but those guys are morons. They have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Instead of just asking what long range hunting is all about, and trying to get an understanding of it, they simply dismiss it. Part of it is an insecurity thing. They don't want to believe there are hunters capable of making much longer shots than they are. You know how it goes, if you can't understand it or do it yourself, it must be a lie!

Yadda, yadda, yadda. It seems like the main yapper there has his own name pegged appropriately. There are some enlightened types there though that are obviously taking him to task for his BS apples & oranges comparison.

I couldn't help myself, I had to post. These guys (one is apprpriately named {Nimrod}) have no reality outside of there own. I love for some of these gentlemen (used loosely) to go varmint hunting or just try something out west.

Jim

Have you ever noticed how the people that are the most critical of something are usually the ones that have never tried it? Those that swear that long range hunting can't be done haven't tried it (accompinierd by someone who knows how!). And those that swear SMK are the scurge of the earth for wounding all of the poor little critters have never used one on those little critters. I guess this is where the old saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" comes from. Obviously some of those folk know how to shoot better than I would ever hope to. They just don't "believe" that you can hunt at the longer ranges.

Sometimes life's a box of chocolates. Why'd I say that? So some guys shoot in places where the longest view is on a range, others where you can see across time zones. I never appreciated the value of BC's, high velocity and powerful scopes until I got lost in Idaho/Montana/Wyoming a few years ago. One thing I do know is that people adapt to their needs and opportunities. A 1500 yd shot on a p. dog may seem incredible to someone from (sorry, got to say this) New Jersey. I'd guess their first objection would be being able to see it. Well, they have never seen the clear western air. Neither have you and that's the point. You can sure as hell see their air. So anyway if you can't see it why would you have a rifle capable of it, and since none of your friends have one, and the longest matches are 1000 yards(maybe) it just strains credibility. A counterpoint perhaps is that the average Joe from the rockies may not have a good grasp on the particulars of still hunting swamps. May not believe just how close you can get to a deer if you do your homework.

I admire the skill and technology required to make shots with confidence at ranges of a mile or more. Likewise, the skill required to put powderburns on a deer or turkey. A tripple on a covey rise of quail with a pump gun? Sure! It is rather disheartening to see shooters squabble over these issues.

Interesting comparing paperpunching to hunting.
My def. of an ethical shot at game.
1. legal game
2. hunter has practiced to the point of proficency.
3. hunter has selected a weapon capable of task at hand.
4. misses are verified by spotter or hiking to look for sign.

Any improperly prepaired person that just flings lead or arrow at game hoping to get lucky is no sportsman, irregardless of distance involved. I read many more posts on here concerning practice, testing and fine tuning weapons tha about hunting. WHY ? Because, that is what a true sportsman does.

As true with most of the guys here I fire, many more rounds in practice than in hunting.

Sad to see a fellow "sportsman" blast other sportsman about chosen legal techniques.

Russ

It amaze's me that some peaple think long-range hunting is somthing new. They forgot about all the buffalo hunters. Good thing there was one at Adobe Walls.

After looking over that thread, and having monitored this site for a bit, my situation and some of my experience may be relavent.
I have never taken what would qualify to most of you as a long range shot. I have stretched my abilites to kill game at what I considered long range:
Elk - 450 yds. 30-06. Shot across a canyon. I was sitting in 10" of heavy snow and had a log as a rest. I estimated the range at 450 - 500 yards and held slightly over his back. I DID NOT compensate for the crosswind in the canyon, and the shot I intended to drop into his spine. heart / lung vertical area drifted slightly and I hit him in the neck. He went down immediatly, but I got lucky.
Antelope - 650 yds. 25-06. After a day of frustration watching antelope disappear over the crest of a hill, I had two does line up on a hillside. I estimated the distance as being way the hell out there. Wind was in my face. I had a solid rest and held high on the top doe. The bottom doe fell with a bullet clipping the bottom of her heart.
Prairie dogs out to 400 yards. I grew up shooting prairie dogs with everything from 22, muzzleloaders, shotguns, to practicing with my 30-06 on prairie dogs.
Many hunters who know me consider me to be a pretty good shot, because of the kills I have made, but I think it is a matter of what you practice and what you can effectively accomplish with your equipment.
I do not consider myselft to be in the same league as a true long range hunter, but with the right equipment, guidance and desire maybe I could. Does that make you wrong for effectively killing at 1500 yards - no, just different, and maybe a bit more dedicated to the shooting side of hunting.
Am I a good shot? Well, probably, but I think I am just well practiced. I certainly know others who are better, some just as good and even more who have the potential to be better with impressive eye-hand coordination and reflexes. I really think it is a matter of what you are used to.
I went to a local 100 yard shooting range a couple days ago to try some new loads I had worked up for my 25-06. The range was crowded as it always is this time of year with people getting ready for to hunt at the last minute, and it really amazed me to see what people were using and call "good enough". I could give some humorous examples, but my point is that maybe "Nimrod" has some valid points. I believe most of the people out there have absolutly NO business taking a shot past point blank range, and even that could be suspect. I also believe there is nothing wrong with ultra long range hunting if you know EXACTLY what you are doing.
Do I plan on taking a shot past 500 yards? Not in the the near future, but thanks to what I am learning here, I know it is not impossible and maybe one day I will have the equipment and knowledge needed to try... at the range first.

Regards,
QH

Here we go again....
http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002694

Matchkings are illegal to hunt with!
rolleyes.gif

Hello Jon,

Getting a bit ridiculous, eh?

I have received a couple of hostile emails from posters with one actually threatening to turn me in to the WY Game & Fish!

This from my fellow hunters....

Talk about narrow minded mental pygmies!

MatchKings are not hunting bullets...the world is flat...

Where does the imbecility stop??

Frustrating.

~Holmes

Yeah, when even Ray Atkinson is on our side you know they're being completely nuts.
grin.gif

He may not be a long range hunter, but he does call'em like he sees 'em!

If I ever get to go hunt Cape Buff, his advice will rank high in all the decisions I make....

And no, I don't think I'd use MK's for that.
grin.gif

I read the SMK thing and thought you two guys were right on. Both had some great points, but you can't argue with the "immovable signpost". (I think my wife learned me that). Anyway I'm with Jon and Boyd: If you 've never been there, lived it, tested it and proved it---shut up.

Let those that have make their own decision.

Because I am the cause of the lastest Mk thread on accurate with not so long of a shot only 273 I was prepared for up to 600 yards but 273 was it. My the elk tastes good
grin.gif
I came over here to get some fresh air. Have a nice day.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.