Pennsylvania Passed Bill To Use Semi-Auto Rifles!

Making strides in PA!! A long overdue presidential win for a Republican candidate and now a sensible relaxing of firearm/hunting regulations.

Congratulations, PA is moving in a good direction. Something I haven't been able to say about my own state of New York in decades.

Being in PA, I'm glad to hear about this. But I also have to say I'm more than a little concerned with the thought of guys with 10 round mags banging away. Yesterday was the first day of the 2016 deer season and I can tell you I was AMAZED at how fast somebody was shooting, working the action, and then shooting again. Lead must have been flying everywhere! Then there was another guy who fired 5 rounds and hit the deer twice. After firing his 5 rounds, he was completely out of ammo and the deer had to be finished off by another hunter. Disgraceful and dangerous.

Hate to be doom and gloom but if the PA. Game Commision sets the rules you'll never see semiautos for deer or bear, hell you'll be lucky to see 22 semiautos for varmints.
I think the big push here for hunting rifles was for the special interest gas and air power rifle companies to get a foot in the door and increase their sales because that was also in the bill to be pasted. I just wonder who gets the big payout on the sales the game commision or the Governor for signing the bill.

I would like to see it for all game hunting in Pa., why pick and choose just for ones personall preference.

Me personally, I want it for varmints and coyotes! No interest for deer or bear.

I couldn't agree more. I am an avid varmint and coyote hunter myself. I would love to use my semi for those varmints but as far as big game I'll take a pass. Too many trigger happies out there as it is with pumps, lever actions and bolts. They shoot the first shot and then just start slinging lead. I couldn't imagine these people with semiauto's running around.

I couldn't agree more. I am an avid varmint and coyote hunter myself. I would love to use my semi for those varmints but as far as big game I'll take a pass. Too many trigger happies out there as it is with pumps, lever actions and bolts. They shoot the first shot and then just start slinging lead. I couldn't imagine these people with semiauto's running around.

I don't think you'll have to worry about semi's for big game in Pa. so long as the PGC has control of what gets used.

That's fine by me. I just watched a guy yesterday shooting at deer about 100 yards below me in a hollow. The first shot knocked the deer down but it got up and he started shooting and there was know way he could have been aiming seeing as he put rounds through his bolt action almost as fast as I put rounds through my benelli semiauto 22 gauge. Another good indicator of this was the tree branch that fell 10 foot up a tree above the deer. Although I helped him track his deer and find it there was only one hole in it through the stomach out of five shots. This is the thing that bothers me about the possibilities of people being able to use semiauto's for large game. I also kept my cool while helping him find his deer considering he was on my ground hunting which is posted and he was trespassing but I left him know. He apologized and I told him I usually don't have a problem if they come and ask permission first. I have it posted for liability purposes. But like I said 1 hit out of 5 it is just troubling that there were 4 rounds fired that were unaccounted for.

That's fine by me. I just watched a guy yesterday shooting at deer about 100 yards below me in a hollow. The first shot knocked the deer down but it got up and he started shooting and there was know way he could have been aiming seeing as he put rounds through his bolt action almost as fast as I put rounds through my benelli semiauto 22 gauge. Another good indicator of this was the tree branch that fell 10 foot up a tree above the deer. Although I helped him track his deer and find it there was only one hole in it through the stomach out of five shots. This is the thing that bothers me about the possibilities of people being able to use semiauto's for large game. I also kept my cool while helping him find his deer considering he was on my ground hunting which is posted and he was trespassing but I left him know. He apologized and I told him I usually don't have a problem if they come and ask permission first. I have it posted for liability purposes. But like I said 1 hit out of 5 it is just troubling that there were 4 rounds fired that were unaccounted for.

Not all hunters have the common sense or nerve to hold on target after that first shot to see if they can even get a second shot. And in the Pa. woods very rarely do you ever get a second or third shot you know that as well as I do. But if your a good hunter, can handle a semi auto and known your limits with an semi auto why not hunt deer and bear with one.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.