Peanuts

Nomosendero

I want to ask those who live in a peanut producing area, do Deer go after the peanuts? I do know that they love Peanut butter. I have an opportunity to get some shelled peanuts, culls & thought of mixing with grain I have in Cattle feeders, legal in AR.
Thanks

Yes they do 100%. I live in Cali now but lived in the pan handle of Florida for 5 years prior. I've never had the opportunity to hunt peanut fields, but always saw deer in them flying around the area. A couple friends in a hunt lease I was in hunted peanut fields in the summer using depredation permits, slayed the does.

Sorry I see you were asking about the nut, my fault. Not 100% positive but I don't see why not? Hogs love them.

I heard the "deer love peanuts" thing last year and had the opportunity to get some raw nuts this summer.

I put them out in front of one of my cameras to see ***. The deer never touched them but there were more raccoons than I've ever seen in one spot before. They would clean up 10# over 2 nights.

I'm not saying that deer won't eat them I just feel that it was something they never had seen before so they avoided them. If it was a common crop here in Indiana it might be a different story.

I am concerned about Coons getting in the Cattle feeders, they do that some now. Thanks for bring that up. I may pour them on the ground instead.
On not being a common crop, I am not sure about that one, I had a chance to put out soybeans where I hunt in the Ozarks, no beans for miles but when rain fell on the beans, they swelled & the Deer tore them up!

I think I am going to put the Peanuts out in my other area , the Coons are getting in my Cattle feeders a good deal now anyway. I will mix in some corn and that will assure them eating some peanuts and once they do that I believe it will be off to the races.

I still have about 50# left but I'll have to wait till our deer hunting seasons close before I can put them back out. They'll consider it baiting if put it out now and we aren't allowed to do that here in Indiana.

We bait here as in TX and other States, along with food plots, in fact I bait in the food plots which ups the odds a little. I would prefer just the food plots but when the neighboring properties bait you almost have to.
Not to make this a bait or no thread (fruitless) I will report what I see.

Peanuts are farmed near where I hunt and the deer eat the vines. I've never seen them attempt to dig up the actual peanut. I'm sure like any other harvesting/combining method that they're is spillage and they may eat that but it's the actual plant they eat mostly. A lot of peanut hay is planted on our place as a year round food source. I think we got close to 20 acres planted. Same plant but doesn't produce peanuts . It's a hybrid of the vine I believe. We have two types and both attract deer well.

Last edited:
Peanuts are farmed near where I hunt and the deer eat the vines. I've never seen them attempt to dig up the actual peanut. I'm sure like any other harvesting/combining method that they're is spillage and they may eat that but it's the actual plant they eat mostly. A lot of peanut hay is planted on our place as a year round food source. I think we got close to 20 acres planted. Same plant but doesn't produce peanuts . It's a hybrid of the vine I believe. We have two types and both attract deer well.
Yes, I can see them not digging up the peanuts like a Hog would but I cannot see why they would not eat the raw nut, as they will eat any kind of acorn or any nut they find, esp. when the White Oak acorn is gone. This year we had a bad acorn crop. I have 500-600# of raw nuts, if I don't feed the Deer with them I will weigh 400# by Spring !

We grow several hundred acres of peanuts and they love the plant but wont dig them up. After we combine them they eat the ones that are left but as long as their acorns deer will walk through 200 acres of peanuts to eat one acorn and dont even get me started about watermelons, they will split it open with their hoof and eat everything but the rind

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts