"Payment" for helping pack out an elk?

Once awhile ago , my son and i helped a young man {probably in his 20s} drag out his buck . my conditions to help where . 1.gut the buck 2 take the rope off the back legs and put it around the horns 3 help us drag out our bucks . NOTE he had the arms of his 1 piece hunting suit tied around his waist , sweating bad after dragging it about 100 yards. EVERY FOLLOWING HUNTING SEASON HE WOULD LOOK ME UP IN THE WOODS AND THANK ME FOR HELPING ,,. GRATELY APPRECIATED AND ALL THE REWARD NEEDED.

I never ask for anything. Maybe return the favor someday would be nice. If someone helps me I usually offer tenderloins. One because they are a "prime" cut so they tend to be very appreciated and two because I honestly am not a big fan of tenderloin. Prefer the texture and flavor of backstraps.

Basically I offer a great cut of what someone wants.

A little bit of everything, very interesting. I am going with my cousin and some of his work buddies this year. It'll probably be a one time event, so repaying by helping next year isn't an option. If I'm lucky enough to pull the trigger, I was planning to offer some meat. If it's reversed, I wouldn't expect anything, but as mentioned, a small roast or something would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This is a subject everyone needs to have with their hunting party to avoid unwarranted expectations and "hurt feelings". Since I am always a NR the cost of the tag is same for all of us. Our agreement is everyone hauls meat so everyone shares. This is a critical agreement that NEEDS to be ironed out BEFORE the trip.