Paying for load Development

If you could pay someone to develop a load for your rifle, What would you be willing to pay?
Depends if you supply the materials you would like to use! I worked a load up for a guys 300 wm that he swore wouldn't shoot. Using my materials and bedding his action we swapped for a Cerakote job that he's doing. I provided him documented targets with loads. He was happy with 1/2" groups at 100 yards, he can only get 4" groups out of it but I know it's not the gun or loads. I think most guys would load develop just for the raw materials replaced or maybe horse trade labor or something. Most reloaders do it for the joy and satisfaction, like other shooters I conquer a cartridge rifle combo then I'm bored and thinking up a new cartridge to play with.

I have a load developer out of Indy. Referred to me by Berger bullets.
i have used him for several years and he is great
Loads for my
7mm
I buy shells (Lapua Norma) bullets he works up loads
Sends me test bullets and I shoot and tell him best load
Works great and he is not expensive
Reasonably speaking after I buy shells and bullets

reason: I do not have the time, patience, mindset and he is a meticulous, perfectionist which is fine with me
I'm happy and Guns shoot great

For me, nothing. That is what I enjoy about reloading. Often times once I get done with load development, the rifle gets stuck in the back of the safe or sold to buy something else to start the process over. Lol
gosh been there and done that, and doing it again now!

I am not a person to pay for someone to do load development for me. I believe load development is where you get intimate with your rifle and learn the ins and outs of that firearm. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Am LOL. If you live in CA you cannot loan a firearm to someone unless you are present. You cannot even GIVE (factory or reloads) ammo to another person. God forbid selling it. If you ship a rifle it must be to a FFL holder. You cannot receive ammo except through a FFL holder. Sorry just venting.

That's I left Commifornia a long time ago. 😇

BTW, I used to live in Oxnard from 1980-84. My sister and S-I-L still live there.

[QUOTE="Brandon Starkel, post: 1954913, member:
I spoke to one of my coworkers today that was asking me about loading some rounds and getting his rifle to shoot. I told him it would be best if he came over, and sat down with me, and I'd show him the ropes beginning to end. He said he would pay for all the stuff to load him up.

^^^THIS!^^^
Teaching someone how to do something is more helpful to them in the long run than just doing it for them. The full proverb is "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

I hate reloading.

My wife and I travel all over the U.S. shooting, and I reload what seems like a gazillon rounds a year (really just thousands)...but it gets old and tiresome for me. But I do it anyway because I don't trust someone else to do it the way I do it. 🤪 🤪

If someone doesn't have the time, want to, or invest in reloading equipment or even have the space to do it in...I don't see what the problem is. It's really no different than guys that just buy factory ammo imo. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with Beluebows point.
It is a nice uptick from Factory, but a notch below person, exactness in your own reloading. Now my son, an accomplished BR shooter, 400, 600, 1000 yards loads for me...takes my guns after first of year, works up the loads, and returns them with my loads. All i do is buy bullets, shells, dies, and babysit the grandkids. Almost a good deal!

^^^THIS!^^^ Teaching someone how to do something is more helpful to them in the long run than just doing it for them. The full proverb is "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

You know there's another twist to that proverb 😉

71EFE84D-3FB2-4D5B-A4A8-0BCF45ADBC62.jpeg

Well, Barnes ammo, I suppose the closest to the Hammer is about $2.50 a round, and since Hammer bullets cost almost exactly twice as much as Barnes TTSX (I used ........308 180/181gr in my calculations) maybe $5/round isn't totally awful. Wow, though. Lots of good factory premium ammo out there if you choose not to reload. Don't care how other folks spend their money though. That's all its good for ;) Anyone ever wander with his wife into a fancy purse store like the ones you see them looting in NYC? $1000 barely gets you in the door.

I did this once when I had a custom build done. Cost was very reasonable, but I didn't like the pressure of the "ideal" load. I cut it way back. Good news is he makes his own barrels, and just about anything I put in it shoots very accurately. I was so happy with the first build he put a 28 Nosler tube on Stiller/McM gun and I did the load development - didn't take long because it shoots exactly the same load as the first 28N.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.