Paying for load Development

This is what a local company charges for load development... And they dont even run it out to 1K for you, "that's extra" LOL. Then they want you to order a minimum of 5 boxes of ammo at $80-150 a piece on top of that, to even do it, so they're making a killing, upwards of $1K or more, that's INSANE!!...Either way, my time isnt free, and I do just as good if not better work :) I include targets, cronograph data, 3/4 MOA or better guaruntee, and a verified drop chart to 1K. It takes a while to load match grade ammo, that's where 3/4 of my time is spent, at the bench. If it's not worth $500 to you, then go pay $1K or shoot factory crap...I could care less
That is a better account of the time factor, lol, I see it now.

I'm gonna start showing people that who complain about $500...Guaruntee they change their tune real quick hahaha. Heck, I may even up my prices, who knows. It's a niche market and my time is worth whatever I say it is, and what people are willing to pay! Wonder how much "extra" they want to charge for verifying every 100 yards to 1K at their already crazy rate of $100/box...Insane

Even for the guys that do their own load development, they have to start over when changing lots of powder or bullets. So unless you were to get the same lot of powder, bullets, primers, and brass the guy doing the development used, its not worth much at all.

For me, nothing. That is what I enjoy about reloading. Often times once I get done with load development, the rifle gets stuck in the back of the safe or sold to buy something else to start the process over. Lol
I thought it was just me. After about five times to the range with a good load and no change in group size, I get another gun and start again. It's like the end of a journey.

Am LOL. If you live in CA you cannot loan a firearm to someone unless you are present. You cannot even GIVE (factory or reloads) ammo to another person. God forbid selling it. If you ship a rifle it must be to a FFL holder. You cannot receive ammo except through a FFL holder. Sorry just venting.
Why in the world would a shooter or hunter live in California? Just to prove that it can be done, in spite of all the oppressive laws?

Exactly why I said 1K a little steep for load development. 3-500 bucks seem to be the going rate.
I pm'd the op, gave him my observations to help him make an informed decision.
To sell ammo, a Class 6 FFL is needed, or 7, plus be wise to carry insurance, not all glamour and glitter.
All this to make money off friends, IMO, good way for friends to part ways, too many variables in a casual partnership.
I will second that it is wise to carry Insurance whether it's a load development for friends or someone else. The cost of a related injury can be staggering. A friend may not sue a friend, but his insurance company would sure sue to recover medical+ costs.

I recently paid for a load development. I am a reloader but more of a "follow the recipe" type reloader, skill wise. I admit it. I also don't have the time, range facilities, or expertise to do it myself so I sent my rifle to Steve Davis who is the owner of Hammer Bullets. 3 weeks later he sent me back my rifle and 200 loaded rounds and it costs me right around $1,000 bucks.

My rifle is a 7mmRemMag. It shoots his 155gr Hammer Hunters into a cloverleaf at 200 yards with a MV of 3,260fps.

I GUESS that if I had the time, range facilities and patience I could have developed a good load myself but I don't think that it would have been as perfect as what Steve wound up with because it is a maximum load that is also deadly accurate. I don't know enough to play with pressure signs, seating depth, and charges to the degree that a guy like Steve or some of you guys here can, so I was happy to pay for that expertise and know that I have the best load possible for my rifle.

Sorry OP, I diverged from your question a bit...my answer is $1,000 for the reasons stated;)
Sounds reasonable to me. He did provide with the load receipe, didn't he? Cheaper than funtwerks.

last year I did load work for a friend who wanted up to 800 yards but I can only manage 700 behind my house. he does not have the time as he is a large animal vet and works 7 days a week up to 14 hours a day. I really did not want to but finally said I would,this was not for money or anything else just to help him.so I told him he would have to pay for all expenses and work done for a scope, muzzle brake etc and and components in bulk all same lot numbers and enough for a couple years .I finally got it done many months later as I would not shoot if the wind was blowing (live in SD always windy it seems) but when I was finished the rifle a Remington Custom Shop Rifle it would print 3 shot groups of 2 1/2 inches at 700 yards, I was happy and no hot loads , he just came back from a long range class down in Nebraska and told he he was able to shoot groups as small as 2 1/4 inches at 800 yards there, made me feel good and happy I could help, would I do it again probably not as it cut into my shooting and reloading time

Sounds reasonable to me. He did provide with the load receipe, didn't he? Cheaper than funtwerks.

Yes he did so I can either load myself or call him if I want to order more.

Plus, and most importantly I think, is that I can call him on his cell anytime

Why in the world would a shooter or hunter live in California? Just to prove that it can be done, in spite of all the oppressive laws?
I know but I cannot let "them" completely dominate the State. Must continue to try to fight the good fight. PS In my past I have lived and hunted in Alaska, Connecticut and Missouri....hated the cold winters. Happily I am retired and can afford to travel.

I know but I cannot let "them" completely dominate the State. Must continue to try to fight the good fight. PS In my past I have lived and hunted in Alaska, Connecticut and Missouri....hated the cold winters. Happily I am retired and can afford to travel.

Same with me and New York

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.