Paying for load Development

Depends if it's make the recipe or make the recipe and ammo deal.
I do this for a few friends I don't charge anything and usually I end up with a bottle of whiskey or extra reloading components to use.
a big downside is a rifle that won't shoot.
I would clock my time during load development and charge accordingly. Ammo I would also clock and compare to premium loaded ammo
I like this idea and certainly could use the whiskey. I've never pursued custom load development as I'm pretty satisfied with the results I've been able to achieve myself. That said, I have done, and do like reloading for friends if they ask because it's usually not to difficult to squeeze sub-MOA out of a decent production rifle that they are only used to shooting factory stuff out of at say, maybe 1.25 MOA. Usually these guys aren't shooting that far and stuff like SD and ES don't come into play, and when they see .5 to .75 MOA @ 200 they are ecstatic! Then we have whiskey 🥃!

I like this idea and certainly could use the whiskey. I've never pursued custom load development as I'm pretty satisfied with the results I've been able to achieve myself. That said, I have done, and do like reloading for friends if they ask because it's usually not to difficult to squeeze sub-MOA out of a decent production rifle that they are only used to shooting factory stuff out of at say, maybe 1.25 MOA. Usually these guys aren't shooting that far and stuff like SD and ES don't come into play, and when they see .5 to .75 MOA @ 200 they are ecstatic! Then we have whiskey 🥃!
Exactly, lol and often it's a cartridge I'm familiar with load development consists of dropping one of my loads in and it works lol. I did have a buddy leave his rifle with me and I did work up a complete load for him and chart the curve to 1100 yds

I want to interject something here, you also bought ammo. That requires an FFL and most likely insurance on the providers end.
Producing ammo and doing load dev for someone to follow are 2 separate entities. I am pretty sure had you not taken 200 loaded rds, your bill would have been considerably less.

Yes Milo you are correct..I did buy loaded ammo from Steve to get me started. I can order from him or follow the data that he sent me.

Yes, for the right person that had extensive experience reloading at a very high accuracy level.

200 rounds worth of top end components gets pricey real fast.
200 pcs of new Nosler brand 28 Nosler is something like $600 alone.
Add 200 Hammer bullets, another $200
3lbs of RL33, N570, etc. can be $100
Primers are relatively cheap, $8-10.
Add some plastic boxes, $20+.
You are about $1000 just in components, not including the rounds you fire during development, maybe 30-50 more in consumables to get you the recipe. You just broke $1k.

200 rounds worth of top end components gets pricey real fast.
200 pcs of new Nosler brand 28 Nosler is something like $600 alone.
Add 200 Hammer bullets, another $200
3lbs of RL33, N570, etc. can be $100
Primers are relatively cheap, $8-10.
Add some plastic boxes, $20+.
You are about $1000 just in components, not including the rounds you fire during development, maybe 30-50 more in consumables to get you the recipe. You just broke $1k.

That's how I figure it too. Steve put time into it as well, and again, with long-range facilities and expertise that I don't have

If I buy loaded rounds from Steve they come out to around 5 bucks a round.

This is my main hunting rifle so I am not going to put thousands of rounds though it plus I use cheap stuff to shoot steel

If I buy loaded rounds from Steve they come out to around 5 bucks a round.
Exactly why I said 1K a little steep for load development. 3-500 bucks seem to be the going rate.
I pm'd the op, gave him my observations to help him make an informed decision.
To sell ammo, a Class 6 FFL is needed, or 7, plus be wise to carry insurance, not all glamour and glitter.
All this to make money off friends, IMO, good way for friends to part ways, too many variables in a casual partnership.

Exactly why I said 1K a little steep for load development. 3-500 bucks seem to be the going rate.
To sell ammo, a Class 6 FFL is needed, or 7, plus be wise to carry insurance, not all glamour and glitter.
All this to make money off friends, IMO, good way for friends to part ways, too many variables in a casual partnership.

Maybe you're right but I was happy to pay for the results he got for me.

Plus I can call him anytime for advice or just to say hello and he answers every time

[QUOTE="Brandon Starkel, post: 1954913, member:
I spoke to one of my coworkers today that was asking me about loading some rounds and getting his rifle to shoot. I told him it would be best if he came over, and sat down with me, and I'd show him the ropes beginning to end. He said he would pay for all the stuff to load him up.

While I would insist on doing my own load development with a rifle to be used for long range hunting or competition, over the years I know of people that have acquired rifles that included load development as part of the purchase. In these cases, the rifles, out of the box, shot superbly out to 1000 yards with sub-.5MOA accuracy and a high degree of consistency. A couple of boxes of loaded ammo were included In the turnkey package, along with the recipe. Buying the components and duplicating the recipe produced comparable results to those of the originally supplied ammo. While only an estimate, we figured that the load development, break-in, and sighting added approximately $1000 of cost to the total package, including the ammo. Additional ammo could be purchased for approximately $70/box of 20. Considering material and labor, for someone that did not have the time, knowledge, or both, $1000 for load development performed by a credible individual/company seems like it could be a good value. At least this was the case with the individuals mentioned above. IMO.

for legal reasons, I don't charge anyone.
I'll often have them replace supplies used and they voluntarily bring me a gift of some kind, but charging them implies an expertise - which creates liability. because I don't charge - my work is considered "goodwill". Goodwill has some legal safe guards.
my viewpoint is that my friends wouldn't ever sue me, but if they died in a weird set of shooting circumstances - would their spouses take any legal action? this i can't answer - so "goodwill" is the safe answer because it doesn't convey any level of expertise and you didn't take any money - thus not a manufacturer.

its crazy, but this litigious society makes you prove your innocense first. for this reason, I carry factory ammo in my concealed carry gun - because if I load it- it could be considered "loaded hot" and that would be construed as the reason a bad person died.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.