Paying for load Development

Like just_jon said: "Some load to shoot, I shoot to load."

Even if I couldn't shoot anymore, I would still want to keep reloading. It's my happy place. I enjoy the tediousness and the precision of the process.
I can shoot in my back yard. I have steel hanging in the pasture out to 440 yards (hanging a gong at 635 this weekend). Learning how to do it better is why I joined this site.
Thanks to COVID, I have more loaded ammo right now than I have ever had at any one time in my life.
I am old enough to realize that I am not that good of a shot...500 yards or so is a long ways for me on steel...350 yards is pretty far for big game.
I have the place to shoot, I just don't spend as much time shooting as I do loading.

I enjoy the process too much to let someone else do it for me.

For me, nothing. That is what I enjoy about reloading. Often times once I get done with load development, the rifle gets stuck in the back of the safe or sold to buy something else to start the process over. Lol
Lol, That's what happens to me too but now I like it when the load development is quick & easy with great results. I guess everyone likes that.

I like the entire process and have learned a great deal, over the years doing my own load development. There is also a certain amount of satisfaction using what you have developed successfully.

I know what you mean, that's where the fun of it is. I've had a few friends hint around at getting a load worked up for them and it got me thinking 😁
If you do it, charge a ridiculous amount of money per round. It's the only way to do it. Your time is your most value asset. Decide how much that is worth and go from there. Or simply teach new guy to fish...for a fee

That ^^^ Time is money, and load development is very time consuming...I probably have around at least 25 hours average that goes into just 1 rifle that I load and set up to 1K for. Plus, your gas to and from the range. Sitting at the bench, drive time to the range and back numerous times, actual shooting time, probably puts it closer to 30 hours when it's all said and done. And that's when everything goes right and smooth. I've had some rifles that took 2x as long as others to get where they needed to meet my satisfaction and the customers I've got three binders full of targets over the years from all sorts of rifles/calibers/bullets and powder. I've also became very good at reading and analyzing targets along the way, to make it easier/faster and know which way to go. $500 for 25-30 hours seems fair, actually pretty **** cheap at $16-20/hr for my time...It cuts into my loading and shooting time tremendously. With work, a wife, and 4 huskys to also take care of, it leaves me very little "free" time of my own to begin with. If you think I'm doing it for nothing, y'all are crazy haha. No FFL here, all local stuff. And far as I'm concerned, the government can keep their greedy fingers off my cash money I make on the side. What they dont know, wont hurt them, F em!

That ^^^ Time is money, and load development is very time consuming...I probably have around at least 25 hours average that goes into just 1 rifle that I load and set up to 1K for. Plus, your gas to and from the range. Sitting at the bench, drive time to the range and back numerous times, actual shooting time, probably puts it closer to 30 hours when it's all said and done. And that's when everything goes right and smooth. I've had some rifles that took 2x as long as others to get where they needed to meet my satisfaction and the customers I've got three binders full of targets over the years from all sorts of rifles/calibers/bullets and powder. I've also became very good at reading and analyzing targets along the way, to make it easier/faster and know which way to go. $500 for 25-30 hours seems fair, actually pretty **** cheap at $16-20/hr for my time...It cuts into my loading and shooting time tremendously. With work, a wife, and 4 huskys to also take care of, it leaves me very little "free" time of my own to begin with. If you think I'm doing it for nothing, y'all are crazy haha. No FFL here, all local stuff. And far as I'm concerned, the government can keep their greedy fingers off my cash money I make on the side. What they dont know, wont hurt them, F em!
Wow, glad you make money!
But 25 hours seems excessive. I usually have a load in 4-5 range trips, 4 hours tops, unless we count thought time, lol
About the only circumstances it may take more is if I am concerned the load will fall apart once the barrel is broke in, too high of a charge, and I need to fire it to get it through the speed up. I put enough pcs of brass into service it would be waste to fire to chamber dimensions before load work, just verify after all fired.

Am LOL. If you live in CA you cannot loan a firearm to someone unless you are present. You cannot even GIVE (factory or reloads) ammo to another person. God forbid selling it. If you ship a rifle it must be to a FFL holder. You cannot receive ammo except through a FFL holder. Sorry just venting.

I have a couple of friends who have gotten into the bullet manufacturing industry. I was amazed that the cost of liability insurance is their single highest component of their business. I assume that anyone who loads for another is taking on a huge liability risk as I understand one who is doing this activity can't get liability insurance for personal protection. I, personally, wouldn't take the risk because courts are not favorable for any manufactures of components involving bullets. Just my take on it. I would try to find a company that manufacturers bullets that will do specific special orders.

You haven't loaded long enough then. lol Yes, having a load that shines brings satisfaction, but after 34 yrs, it is a job today, and i have never been that happy in any job I was paid to do, so no pay, no joy.
Well, to each his own. I have been reloading since September, 1981. I thoroughly enjoy the science of ballistics and making my rounds as absolutely uniform and identical as possible. With the resultant "5 rounds in the same hole at 239 yards". That zero distance with my scope, rifle, and caliber combination gives a zero hold over out to 311 yards. A hobby you need paid to do to enjoy, is indeed a job.

Like just_jon said: "Some load to shoot, I shoot to load."

Even if I couldn't shoot anymore, I would still want to keep reloading. It's my happy place. I enjoy the tediousness and the precision of the process.
I can shoot in my back yard. I have steel hanging in the pasture out to 440 yards (hanging a gong at 635 this weekend). Learning how to do it better is why I joined this site.
Thanks to COVID, I have more loaded ammo right now than I have ever had at any one time in my life.
I am old enough to realize that I am not that good of a shot...500 yards or so is a long ways for me on steel...350 yards is pretty far for big game.
I have the place to shoot, I just don't spend as much time shooting as I do loading.

I enjoy the process too much to let someone else do it for me.
Amen.

Am LOL. If you live in CA you cannot loan a firearm to someone unless you are present. You cannot even GIVE (factory or reloads) ammo to another person. God forbid selling it. If you ship a rifle it must be to a FFL holder. You cannot receive ammo except through a FFL holder. Sorry just venting.

NY isn't far behind!

This is what a local company charges for load development... And they dont even run it out to 1K for you, "that's extra" LOL. Then they want you to order a minimum of 5 boxes of ammo at $80-150 a piece on top of that, to even do it, so they're making a killing, upwards of $1K or more, that's INSANE!!...Either way, my time isnt free, and I do just as good if not better work :) I include targets, cronograph data, 3/4 MOA or better guaruntee, and a verified drop chart to 1K. It takes a while to load match grade ammo, that's where 3/4 of my time is spent, at the bench. If it's not worth $500 to you, then go pay $1K or shoot factory crap...I could care less
Screenshot_20200806-145237_Snapchat.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.