Patagonia, LoadBase and Gus

ss7mm

I remember sitting here 2 or 3 days back wondering what Gus is up to since we haven't had any upgrades for a while. Then, yesterday, I picked up my PPC and found out that, for whatever reason, it was as if it was wiped clean. LoadBase Mobile was gone as well as another small software package for screen shots.

So, late last night I sent an email to Gus thinking he'd get back to me in a day or two and shortly after I sent it, I received a reply with instructions as to how to fix it.

Well, p r o b a b l y because of some small, slight little screw up on my part :) it didn't solve the problem entirely. That was late last night. This morning I had committed to taking my grandson up in the hills to do a little shooting so when I got back I sent an email to Gus and within the hour I had a reply and it fixed it perfectly and alls well. :):)

I don't really know the time difference between here and Buenos Aires, Argentina but I do know that it seems like no matter what time of day or night I send Gus an email, and no matter what the subject, he gets back to me super fast. I talked before about his products and customer service but he still gives each customer full support and still has the best ballistic software out there in my opinion.

Now that all is well in my "software" world I can sit back, relax and wait for the next upgrades.

Yes, he IS great to work with.

Did you notice Gus and I have entered into an agreement so the LRH Gear Shop is offering his software.

And --- we are exclusively offering either the stand alone desktop edition or the mobile edition, in case you don't need one or the other.

LoadBase at the LRH Gear Shop

Dick, what do you like about Gus's software besides the good service?

I have absolutely top notch support from Gus, and the software is the best I have come across!!!!! Awesome to see it in the LRH store, excellent choice!!!

I don't really know the time difference between here and Buenos Aires, Argentina but I do know that it seems like no matter what time of day or night I send Gus an email, and no matter what the subject, he gets back to me super fast. I talked before about his products and customer service but he still gives each customer full support and still has the best ballistic software out there in my opinion.

10-4! My customer support experience with Gus mirrors yours. That guy must work devotedly to provide customer support, as he's helped me out at some really odd hours of the day and night, with very prompt responses. More than I ever expected.

LoadBase software is the cat's meow. And it keeps getting better as time goes on with the periodic updates and revisions that Gus provides.

There's no one out there that offers this level of support for sure. Nor is there another program so intricate or precise! If you don't want the bells and whistles you can shut them off. If you're like me you take advantage of all the detail the software provides. I am a Huge fan of Gus and the product he's put together. I have used exbal, and FFS. I replaced them both with load base and couldn't be more satisfied!!

Yes, he IS great to work with.

Did you notice Gus and I have entered into an agreement so the LRH Gear Shop is offering his software.

And --- we are exclusively offering either the stand alone desktop edition or the mobile edition, in case you don't need one or the other.

LoadBase at the LRH Gear Shop

Dick, what do you like about Gus's software besides the good service?
I hadn't noticed that you carried it in the Gear Shop. You add stuff faster than we can keep track of.

There are a ton of features to like about LB 3 but a few are the fact that it utilizes the G7 feature that benefits us greatly with the type of bullets we shoot plus the ability to transfer data between Desktop and Mobile versions.

Here's a few features from their site:

Brief Descriptions by Module
Library
a comprehensive loads and components database, containing megabytes of useful information, featuring selected loads for more than 300 cartridges accounting in excess of 25000 loads from major sources.
Loads are merged from many sources, on a cartridge basis, independent of source, although with source identified along with all the significant parameters and sort options by any parameter.
Offering complete load tables, comparative capabilities, including specs for thousand of bullets (more than 40 manufacturers), cartridges specs (more than 1300), powders, primers, and many other useful technical charts and tables and more important...it's updated several times per year.

1. More than 25000 loads from major sources

2. More than 3000 bullets from almost every manufacturer

3. More than 1300 cartridges specifications

4. Tables for common rifling twists, for both rifles and handguns

5. Table for common cartridge's designations (more than 4400 entries)

6. While not intended as a replacement, it's scope is much more broader than a reloading manual.

Logbook a full featured module designed to manage and perform analysis on all data collected from a shooting session or when testing a new load. Its electronic format will keep load data, target data and velocity data, coherently organized into a neat and easy to use tool.

• Data synch with Mobile device
It's intended to help users to store, search for and retrieve all data from a reloading and/or shooting session, without any hassle, in order to keep an "electronic log", plus a powerful array of options manage the data so necessary for any reloader.

1. All data stored in a relational database.

2. A single, consistent interface, for storing, updating, searching and sorting records. Multiple selectors for choosing
  3. Easy and immediate, velocity statistics.

4. A complete graphical interface to store target's data, with 20 grid styles to choose from, plus the option to store an actual target's image.
In short, a neat way to store information about your loads, and field or range results. Take into account that only from past records a handloader can gain insight about his gun/loads performance.
Ballistics a professional Exterior ballistics module. Its primary purpose is to compute a bullet's downrange data for up to 6 tracks (concurrently), and up to 3000 yards/meters.

• Data synch with Mobile device
Specifically designed to perform ballistics analysis, unleashing the inner aspects of gun/cartridge performance, and to "play" with multiple parameters in order to obtain valid conclusions, perform sensitivity analysis by modifying variables, etc. all of this using an advanced ballistics engine that is state of the art.
Multiple independent tracks makes easy to ask "what if" or "what happens" questions, allowing the analysis of different shooting scenarios.
LoadBase Desktop & Mobile editions© six independent tracks let you see all the results at the same time either in tabular format ( as numerical values ) or as graphical plots.
Of course, all data could be stored and later recalled, in the program's database.
You can specify one set of atmospheric conditions for sight-in, and another set for a different range or hunting location and then compute how the original trajectory will change at the new location.
Its comprehensive functionality allows the user to calculate all the elements of a bullet's trajectory, and for any set of firing conditions.
These firing conditions include muzzle velocity of the bullet, elevation ( or depression ) angle of the gun barrel, altitude of the firing point, wind conditions at that location, and environmental ( meteorological ) conditions.

1. Advanced, state of the art ballistics engine, for up to 6 ( six ) tracks and Multiple Units Systems.

2. The calculated trajectory parameters includes downrange velocity, energy, momentum, drop relative to the extended bore line of the gun, bullet path height relative to the line of sight of the shooter, wind deflection of the bullet, and time of flight of the bullet, lead for a running target, etc.
  3. The program generates a listing of all these ballistics results and provides graphs, which the user can select, of velocity, energy, momentum, drop, bullet path height, crosswind drift plus target lead and various tabular formats are used to present the results in very convenient ways.
  4. Also included is the PBR ( Point Blank Range ) and Danger Space calculations, including the information for making "zero" adjustments in MOA, MRAD and CLICKS
From that data the module will create, at the same time, a valuable set of seven ready-to-use Field Charts especially devised to deal with the stringent challenges posed by shooting at long range.
Create field charts for Slope, Reticle Holdover (40 different designs), Mil-Dot distance and a Mil-Dot complete firing solution. All of them are customizable and ready to go!
Effects that are accounted for:

• Spin Drift
  • Coriolis
  • Canting
  • Environment for Sight-In and Field Conditions
  • Differentiates betwenn Uphill & Downhill shooting
  • Multiple Wind Zones (3)
  • Wind-induced Drag (from every direction and force)
Conversions this module facilitates the user to perform the most common unit conversions often needed in Shooting/Reloading.

1. Categories, such as Length, Volume, Area, Mass and more.

2. Since it uses significant figures, conversions are never inaccurate, and they are in full compliance with U.S. standards.​
Unit Conversion can be a complex problem. Whether you're trying to handle multiple units systems or simply converting a single value from imperial to metric units ( International System of Units ) this module has the solution.
Measurement conversion affects all areas of our sport and with this tool the user will handle measurement conversion in a consistent and flexible manner.
Analyzer
designed as a set of calculators, ranging from Interior Ballistics calculations to other related phenomena, like computing a barrel's optimum twist, a bullet's stability factor, BC from two velocities, BC conversions between different Drag functions and to calculate the Drag Coefficient as it's needed by the ballistics engine.
Its value as a module is central to this program, which is projected to perform side-calculations that while not routinely done, are of great importance for the precision shooter.

1. Powley Calculator : an updated implementation of the method devised by the late Homer S. Powley to predict load charges and pressure when data for a particular cartridge is not easy to find. A nice complement for the extensive loads' database provided by LoadBase 2.0© providing to the experienced handloader a fast, accurate predictor.
  2. Twist & Stability : an enhanced tool to compute a barrel's optimum twist and the resultant stability factor for a given bullet. Two methods are used at the same time. A modern one, considered a breakthrough in modern ballistics, based on the work of Don Miller ( 2005 ) which has been proven very accurate. This method considers the effects of both velocity and air density. The second one was derived from the work of Sir Alfred Greenhill ( 1879 ), however the current algorithm was enhanced to deal with new bullet styles and high velocities. It does not use a constant value across the range of the different variables.
  3. Chronograph Vel Correction : its purpose is to correct the instrumental velocity (chronographs figures ) accounting for the BC of the bullet, its velocity and the distance between the muzzle and the sky-screens.
  4. BC from velocity : The BC gives the ratio of ballistic efficiency compared to the standard G1 projectile as used by the bullet's makers. This module will accurately compute any bullet's BC given its velocity loss measurement as indicated by two chronographs.
  5. BC Conversions : since there are many drag functions that were developed to have a better fit for same bullet styles, this tool will allow the user to easily convert one function's value to another very easily. A must for those interested in pursuing very accurate trajectory predictions for the modern, streamlined bullets.
  6. Drag Coefficient : this module was specifically added to assist the shooter to determine the correct value of a critical constant used to calculate the changes to the drag function over the supersonic velocity range. In other words, this program ballistics' engine uses a drag coefficient (DC) that affects the calculated rate of bullet deceleration. Applying this DC, the resultant trajectory calculations are very accurate for that particular bullet because the drag function has effectively been tailored for that particular bullet.
  7. Recoil Calc : here the user will access a recoil calculator for up to two firearms, projected to perform accurate and meaningful comparisons, in both tabular and graphical layout, featuring an straightforward interpretation of this central effect.

ss7mm,

That was a great job you did on that post describing LB3.0 I know is by far way better than I could have done.

Great Work! I thank you for our shooting fraternity needs to know this.

Awesome Work!!!!!

Eaglet my friend, you and I, as well as a ton of others, know how powerful and useful LB 3 is but not everybody knows and there are a lot of guys out there looking to buy their first ballistics software package and I'd hate to see them waste their money on anything other than LB.

I like a lot of power and a lot of bells and whistles and LB has all that and then some, and with the G7 availability now, along with the data transfer, you can go shooting with confidence and easily work between both the mobile and desktop environments. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.