Pass through or Expended in Target?

Your preference, pass through or remain in body?

• Yes

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Inside

Votes: 82 25.1%
  • Pass through

Votes: 219 67.0%
  • "I don't care, I'm a perfect shot and they always fall DRT"

Votes: 21 6.4%

• Total voters
In a perfect world I'd like a 3+ inch exit hole, but unfortunately that's not the world we operate in. Bullets that don't exit don't always drop game, and bullets that do exit don't always leave blood trails.
Right on both counts. We can however and I believe should do all we can to ensure a clean quick kill and recovery each time.

The more things you line up in your favor the more success you're going to have.

Speedyman, I would think that the Accubond would give you some expansion and penetration in your 6.5. Federal Fusion is always a great choice--from 357 Magnum on up to the larger calibers, you almost always get a pass through or at least full penetration to the far side skin even with a weak 357 magnum pistol cartridge fired from a Handi-Rifle. That went all the way to the far side on 4 deer my son killed before he started using real rifle cartridges.

What was the soft point you used in your Manbun? Golly gee, I wouldn't use that bullet again.

In a perfect world I'd like a 3+ inch exit hole, but unfortunately that's not the world we operate in. Bullets that don't exit don't always drop game, and bullets that do exit don't always leave blood trails.
Try Winchester Powerpoints in a 270 WSM! I got a baseball sized exit hole. I could have stuck my fist inside it. That was too much exit hole for me, but it was at close range. It might not do that at distance.

What am I saying, "too much exit hole"! Well, I wasn't going to eat that rib meat anyway.

Shot one with a 338 Win Mag with Nosler Ballistic Tip and the exit hole wasn't as big as that PowerPoint from the 270 WSM. What is it about that cartridge that makes it hit like a supersonic train that has come off the rails?

Just going to take a bit of issue with this. Both our native prairie grasses and CRP on wet years can be 3-6' high on the plains and Llano Estacado. Get into the high desert you'll find a whole lot of sage that will average 3-4' tall on a good year.

Without a blood trail you can lose a whole lot of deer in the west.
Yep, anywhere there is a lot of cover, even wide open cover, that exit hole is your guide for finding your critter.

I prefer both, kinda. I like a heavy softer bullet. It may stay inside up close when the bullet is really having to work but T extended distance I really hope for a pass through. Although I'm not convinced that it's needed badly enough to used a Barnes or other bullet that could cause issues of not expanding enough. I'd definitely rather have a bullet stay inside then pencil through. I prefer a 180 hybrid out of a 7 or a 195 eol and I don't need them going to fast to start. 2800-2900 is perfect.
None I've ever shot. When they get hit, they go down right there. If not, within view from my shot location.
At some point if a animal runs with a exit when the cavity fills with blood ,you will have some sort of a blood trail . It may be a short distance or a long distance depending on a lot of circumstances, single lung Double lung , heart , arterial , venial, size of exit ,cal impact vel , bullet choice ,animal , thick skinned thin skinned ,etc.etc . As hunters I hope we all understand this and never give up even when a animal runs with no apparent blood trail. I know my equipment and if I make a good shot with the bullet I use I know what too expect . I think that would be all you could ask for reguardless the outcome , unless you could absolutely prove otherwise . Anything is possible in the field , but rarely I would be wrong in this statement, bottom line when you know you made a good shot don't give up looking for the animal.The bullet probably didn't fail, unless it exceeded its capabilities.

And just when you thought we had beaten this dead horse to death, he gets up and as he's running away you notice there's no exit hole! Blast that exploding bullet! Now we'll probably never see him again.

At some point if a animal runs with a exit when the cavity fills with blood ,you will have some sort of a blood trail . It may be a short distance or a long distance depending on a lot of circumstances, single lung Double lung , heart , arterial , venial, size of exit ,cal impact vel , bullet choice ,animal , thick skinned thin skinned ,etc.etc . As hunters I hope we all understand this and never give up even when a animal runs with no apparent blood trail. I know my equipment and if I make a good shot with the bullet I use I know what too expect . I think that would be all you could ask for reguardless the outcome , unless you could absolutely prove otherwise . Anything is possible in the field , but rarely I would be wrong in this statement, bottom line when you know you made a good shot don't give up looking for the animal.The bullet probably didn't fail, unless it exceeded its capabilities.
I've spent days looking for game without blood, for one reason or another (shot placement, weather, etc.). I've found that shoulder shots don't seem to bleed like one would expect, even with a full pass through.

I've spent days looking for game without blood, for one reason or another (shot placement, weather, etc.). I've found that shoulder shots don't seem to bleed like one would expect, even with a full pass through.

Depends on a couple of things and where on the shoulder your POI is.

For max blood find the elbow, just behind and above it is the heart, 2-3" above that is the perfect spot to take out the top of the heart and the lungs.

1643339285428.png

Elk of course are a bit bigger so that point is a little higher.

Personally I like the high shoulder/spine shot when it's avaiable as it gives me the most margin for error and if I'm dead on or close the animal will never take a step.

1643339539485.png

Depends on a couple of things and where on the shoulder your POI is.

For max blood find the elbow, just behind and above it is the heart, 2-3" above that is the perfect spot to take out the top of the heart and the lungs.

View attachment 335170

Elk of course are a bit bigger so that point is a little higher.

Personally I like the high shoulder/spine shot when it's avaiable as it gives me the most margin for error and if I'm dead on or close the animal will never take a step.

View attachment 335186
Most of my hunting experience has been in southern Michigan's limited firearm zone where I don't have the added benefit of high velocity impacts, but centering up the shoulder is definitely not the way to go. I once sent a 44cal slug through both shoulder blades and had nothing more than a trickle of blood every 5-10 yards, with a dead doe 120 yards away.

Having bow hunted almost exclusively the past 25yrs, and taken 35+ big game animals, has made me a strong advocate for two holes. Two holes leads to better blood trails, period.

I want bullets like Nosler Partitions, Acubonds, or Hammers that are designed to both cause internal damage and leave an exit wound.

Having bow hunted almost exclusively the past 25yrs, and taken 35+ big game animals, has made me a strong advocate for two holes. Two holes leads to better blood trails, period.

I want bullets like Nosler Partitions, Acubonds, or Hammers that are designed to both cause internal damage and leave an exit wound.
I like Noslers also.