Parts list for new build

SumTingWong

I've decided to build my first AR, as opposed to buying a complete unit. I've watched vid's on what mistakes not make, etc. As I live in CA, there are certain restrictions, and I do NOT want a featureless, so I'm going to get a

to remain compliant, and keep the grip, flash hider, etc.

I know it may be a little more than I need, but I'm looking at the following complete upper:

as I think it'll be pretty accurate and reliable.

Looking for suggestions on the other parts, from ppl who have done many before.
Any other recommendations for high quality uppers would be appreciated.
I saw the RRA Operator Car and A2 stocks a friend had, and they look pretty nice. Any reason against the adjustable one?

BTW, the semi-firm spec's I'd like are: .223 Wylde, 18" barrel, 1:7.5 or 8.
I will be using it for hunting coyotes, as well as general "fun."

Last edited:
The Ranier Ultramatch barrels are nice, I've owned two and both were definitely top end, both 308. I've never had issues from any of their products, they are nice.

I've built more AR's than I can count at this point. I've found that I can build on standard mil-spec uppers and lowers and get the same results as I can with the higher end ones, i.e. Rainier, Seekins, etc. Some have some nice features, ambi controls, etc. But in the end, I ended up finding I get identical results on target from the Plain Jane Aero receivers.

AR parts are hit and miss on price right now. Some are gouging, some aren't. If you shop around a bit good deals can be had and you can build a top notch AR. The biggest thing I've learned with a precision AR is, no matter how nice the parts are, they are still an AR. Learning to shoot an AR accurately and consistently is the biggest hurdle. They are a different animal from a bolt gun.

If I were in the market to build an AR like you have described, I would find a good receiver set from a reputable manufacturer. Same goes for the bolt carrier, gas block, etc. I would get the best barrel I could afford, Criterion, Compass Lake, Keystone Accuracy, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc. I would also shop for a barrel that comes with a headspaced bolt. Or at minimum have headspace guages on hand to verify headspace before firing. Get a good trigger, I prefer Geiselle, but there are a plethora of good ones out there.

Most of the companies I mentioned above can build you a complete upper also that will shoot. Compass Lake builds uppers with your choice of Bartlein, Douglas, Kreiger or Criterion barrels. Keystone Accuracy is another company that can put an upper together for you that will be a shooter. I've owned from both and couldn't be happier.

Choose your flavor of handguard, stock, etc. Drop the money you save on the best optic you can get and as much ammo as you can find. Then start shooting it, a lot. Now is kind of a bad time due to the current gun/ammo market volatility, but don't be discouraged. I see "pre-panic" prices on these things all the time.

If money is no object, I would go with JP enterprises. They are expensive, but they are top notch and loaded with any feature you could desire. I have built with some of their components and they make very high quality stuff.

Thanks for the info. Several of those companies have lots of options. I had planned on getting the Geiselle trigger, and few other select components, it just seems parts are a little scarce, but can be had with a little patience.

In terms of barrel quality, any opinions on this model upper from RRA?

It's about half the price of the Rainier, and is slightly easier to get.
I'm not in a hurry, and am willing to wait for the right parts...

The Ranier Ultramatch barrels are nice, I've owned two and both were definitely top end, both 308. I've never had issues from any of their products, they are nice.

I've built more AR's than I can count at this point. I've found that I can build on standard mil-spec uppers and lowers and get the same results as I can with the higher end ones, i.e. Rainier, Seekins, etc. Some have some nice features, ambi controls, etc. But in the end, I ended up finding I get identical results on target from the Plain Jane Aero receivers.

AR parts are hit and miss on price right now. Some are gouging, some aren't. If you shop around a bit good deals can be had and you can build a top notch AR. The biggest thing I've learned with a precision AR is, no matter how nice the parts are, they are still an AR. Learning to shoot an AR accurately and consistently is the biggest hurdle. They are a different animal from a bolt gun.

If I were in the market to build an AR like you have described, I would find a good receiver set from a reputable manufacturer. Same goes for the bolt carrier, gas block, etc. I would get the best barrel I could afford, Criterion, Compass Lake, Keystone Accuracy, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc. I would also shop for a barrel that comes with a headspaced bolt. Or at minimum have headspace guages on hand to verify headspace before firing. Get a good trigger, I prefer Geiselle, but there are a plethora of good ones out there.

Most of the companies I mentioned above can build you a complete upper also that will shoot. Compass Lake builds uppers with your choice of Bartlein, Douglas, Kreiger or Criterion barrels. Keystone Accuracy is another company that can put an upper together for you that will be a shooter. I've owned from both and couldn't be happier.

Choose your flavor of handguard, stock, etc. Drop the money you save on the best optic you can get and as much ammo as you can find. Then start shooting it, a lot. Now is kind of a bad time due to the current gun/ammo market volatility, but don't be discouraged. I see "pre-panic" prices on these things all the time.

If money is no object, I would go with JP enterprises. They are expensive, but they are top notch and loaded with any feature you could desire. I have built with some of their components and they make very high quality stuff.
Plus 1000% on Aero Precision.
I openly admit I am at best a self educated amature when it comes to AR-15's. But You need not be an AR-15 armorer to recognize quality, or lack thereof.
My son wanted his own AR-15 (I know great news but timing not so much) for HS graduation. I own several AR-15's built on Aero Precision uppers and lowers and feel they are among the best of mid level AR-15's. I couldn't find a complete M4E1 rifle ANYWHERE in stock for anything approaching a sane parice so ordered the M4E1 upper and a Aero Enhanced lower directly from Aero Precision. I already own several AR-15's built on Aero precision uppers and lowers and they have performed superbly and flawlessly for me.

The new complete upper and lower were no exception. The fit and finish was absolutely flawless. They looked like they were molded from plastic so perfect was their fit and finish, Mated absolutely perfect and tight as a vice. I then put the upper on my PSA premium lower and again fit up was perfect.
Off subject a bit, but PSA gets a lot of bad press at certain other WS's but my PSA premium uppers and lowers have seen 3k+ rounds and knock on 7075-T6 they have never given me a single reason to cuss them. But I feel Aero Precision is a just enough better than PSA I went with AP over PSA and will at least as far as uppers go will from now on.

Just added a Strikes Industries ambi charging handle and a Toolcraft BCG and once the FAB defense MBUS sights arrive the rifle is GTG.
He has no idea his own AR-15 awaits him.

That rainier arms ultra match is a good barrel. I have a 18" 5.56, 18" 308 and my brother shoots a 16" 308. All have been very accurate.