Paramount Pro Accuracy Issue

I've searched and have been unable to find anyone else having a similar issue so here goes: My father purchased a new .45cal CVA Paramount Pro a couple weeks ago. Had a Hawke 2.5-10 illuminated 30mm tube scope mounted in Warne steel rings on Warne steel bases and bore sighted. .45cal CVA muzzle brake installed at same time, all at the same shop. I weighed out 10 105gr(150 by volume) charges of blackhorn for him and he went to zero it at 100yds the next day. He calls me at work the next day pretty disgusted and says he sent 10 rds down range (last 3 were from 50yds) and he's got 1 bullet on paper and thinks he can see another 2 in the target boards about 1ft on each side of the paper. Fast forward a few days and now it's my turn. I removed the scope, torqued bases, remounted scope, torqued action screws to 50inlbs and weighed some more charges. I got it on paper at 50, moves to 100yd board and proceeded to put up a 29.5 inch 3 shot group. No swabbing, no scope adjustments. Talked to owner of shop and he said try 140gr volume charge and he emailed cva while I was on the phone with him. Next two shots with 140gr were 20 inches apart. Left it until yesterday, decided to screw the brake off and see what happens and put up a 1.25 inch clover at 100. Adjusted POI and shot another 2 touching each other exactly where I adj'd scope to. Probably the only part even made by CVA was the brake. Hopefully this will save someone some heartache and components.

I've searched and have been unable to find anyone else having a similar issue so here goes: My father purchased a new .45cal CVA Paramount Pro a couple weeks ago. Had a Hawke 2.5-10 illuminated 30mm tube scope mounted in Warne steel rings on Warne steel bases and bore sighted. .45cal CVA muzzle brake installed at same time, all at the same shop. I weighed out 10 105gr(150 by volume) charges of blackhorn for him and he went to zero it at 100yds the next day. He calls me at work the next day pretty disgusted and says he sent 10 rds down range (last 3 were from 50yds) and he's got 1 bullet on paper and thinks he can see another 2 in the target boards about 1ft on each side of the paper. Fast forward a few days and now it's my turn. I removed the scope, torqued bases, remounted scope, torqued action screws to 50inlbs and weighed some more charges. I got it on paper at 50, moves to 100yd board and proceeded to put up a 29.5 inch 3 shot group. No swabbing, no scope adjustments. Talked to owner of shop and he said try 140gr volume charge and he emailed cva while I was on the phone with him. Next two shots with 140gr were 20 inches apart. Left it until yesterday, decided to screw the brake off and see what happens and put up a 1.25 inch clover at 100. Adjusted POI and shot another 2 touching each other exactly where I adj'd scope to. Probably the only part even made by CVA was the brake. Hopefully this will save someone some heartache and components.
We have experienced same problem with two of CVA's Paramount .45 cal. PROs. I shot incredible sub- 1inch groups at first with both of them using 105 grs. blkh 209 (weighed), 280 powerbelt ELR , FED lR Primers. When the long awaited Muzzlebreaks arrived, and installed, the groups deteriorated drastically. I verified the scope's integrity by repalcing it with another scope. Still bad groups. I got an RMA # from cva and returned my gun because it didn't group well even after removing muzzle break. I got quick return service and the included note on what they did:

Inspected,Cleaned and lubed
Remove customer rail and installed our rail
Replaced breech plug
Group size 1.489 inch@ 100yds with brake
And 1.362 inch@ 100 yds without brake
using98 grs by weghtblkh 209,280 powerbelt bullets andcci large rifle primers.
Using 98 grs. by weight Blackhorn 209 ,208ELR Powerbelts and CCI large rifle primers
My first range session with it yesterday were not so satisfying. Hopefully my bench resting technique was 'off' for the day. Just hope those few shots with that break didn't do any damage to affect the great accuracy I first shot with it.

So I sent my PP back to CVA Nov 1st and they Received Nov 4th. I called them on Dec 8th to get an update because I had not heard a word. I was told that my ML was already shipped out and should arrive by EOD. I was surprised that no one contacted me to tell me what was wrong, and I was never provided tracking number or email notification that the ML shipped. Luckily it arrived a day before I was leaving for FL otherwise it would have ended up back at CVA because no one would have been there to sign for it. I also asked customer service what notes they had on why the ML wasn't grouping at all. They said they don't have that info, and a report will be provided with the ML.

I received the ML that day and inside is a report. It read "replaced brake with new version and replaced bad screws and torqued to spec. Sent to range and group size .824in @ 100yrds using 98g BH209 by weight, CCI large rifle primers, and 280g ELR PB". They also provided me with the POI card

I'm not sure what screws they replaced, but my guess is "action screws"? Also the muzzle brake may be a new version, but it sure does look identical to the old version.

As soon as I had time I mounted my scope and got everything level. During that process I noticed whoever mounted my muzzle brake at CVA did not take the time to level it (pic below). Maybe I'm asking too much, but I would think a Gun Smith would have taken the time to level it out.

I have yet to take it to the range and will do so when time permits. I'm hoping whatever they did corrects the issues. Thus far I'm not too happy with the performance and communication from CVA. Hopefully my mind is changed shortly. I will report back

Attachments

• 2E38F604-A4EB-4821-8C6F-9D69CBBF55D1.jpeg
    2E38F604-A4EB-4821-8C6F-9D69CBBF55D1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 200
  • 7C4C7E58-66F9-4647-A17D-90E2D12B4BB5.jpeg
    7C4C7E58-66F9-4647-A17D-90E2D12B4BB5.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 205
I've been looking at these ML rifles since they were introduced. Anything with the LR designation on it makes me interested. Some, not many of my ML shots can be out to 300 yards. IMO, that's not really LR considering most ML rifles can perform well enough at that range if your accuracy is there. Out west I'd say these rifles shine. The CVA is very reasonably priced but I have no real life experience or heard any on LR use with it. My White ML rifle shoots 1 moa at 100 yards with a 290 PB bullet. Groups stay very good out to 300 but not sure how bullet performance or energy is at 300 yards. The ELR bullets are much my efficient and carry energy and velocity much better. Curious if anyone has real life experience hunting with these rifles out too or beyond 300 yards ? What bullets were used and what powder charge used ? I typically run 90-100 grains of Triple7 powder. It's where my best accuracy is at. Go up to 120+ and accuracy declines. How does the CVA PP perform with higher charges 150+ ?
If you are on FB...... You'll get a lot of answers here. Some good, a few have no clue.

(7) CVA Official Paramount Shooters | Groups | Facebook

Thanks for all the information, I just recieved my brake a few weeks ago and haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Looks like I won't even use it, or look for different bullets.

Long time since last post. Finally just went to range to sight in my paramount pro after it was sent to CVA and got a new muzzle brake. Still having baffle strikes on the new brake. This pic is after 9 shots! It's unreal a company would sell something like this. I have 4K into this gun and still have never hunted with it. They will be getting a ****** call tomorrow. Not happy

Attachments

• 3E980721-0397-44C4-B9FF-BDBAE1671B0B.jpeg
    3E980721-0397-44C4-B9FF-BDBAE1671B0B.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 173
Long time since last post. Finally just went to range to sight in my paramount pro after it was sent to CVA and got a new muzzle brake. Still having baffle strikes on the new brake. This pic is after 9 shots! It's unreal a company would sell something like this. I have 4K into this gun and still have never hunted with it. They will be getting a ****** call tomorrow. Not happy
I'm saddened to hear that. However, CVA has no clue, nor does the company they hired have a clue, how to create a brake that actually works correctly.

From what I'm gathering, the owners having excellent results have junked that ELR bullet completely and are using higher quality bullets. That "skirt" on the back of those bullets is causing much of the problems. Take the brake off and accuracy can be excellent. Reinstall the brake and accuracy goes all to hell.
There are just way to many quality bullets that can be used bullet to bore and none of them have a "skirt". The Arrowhead XLD bullets are being used by many and work with or without the brake. Sure, you will likely have to purchase a sizing die but, once you do that, you can shoot any bullet you want.

I will buy whatever bullet I can use, just never had to size one. I just bought a muzzle brake from arrowhead today. It's just ridiculous and terrible that a company gets away with crap products

I will buy whatever bullet I can use, just never had to size one. I just bought a muzzle brake from arrowhead today. It's just ridiculous and terrible that a company gets away with crap products
The 300gr XLD bullets from Arrowhead are top quality bullets. I shoot quite a few of them. BC runs at .400.
They're as accurate a bullet, especially a LONG RANGE bullet as I have found. I also shoot a lot of Fury bullets.
Good luck with CVA.

Just jumped down the rabbit hole again and bought a paramount htr in 40 cal. 15 powerbelts down range so far and the most impressive thing yet is the amount of recoil nearly 120gr by weight bh209 gives you without a brake. Groups aren't terrible (1 to 1.5moa at 150yds) but enough I can tell I'll be buying a sizer ang going bore rider before next year.

Just jumped down the rabbit hole again and bought a paramount htr in 40 cal. 15 powerbelts down range so far and the most impressive thing yet is the amount of recoil nearly 120gr by weight bh209 gives you without a brake. Groups aren't terrible (1 to 1.5moa at 150yds) but enough I can tell I'll be buying a sizer ang going bore rider before next year.
A friend just bought a "new to him" 45 conversion (SML) with the intention of shooting mostly BH. He ordered the hand press and sizing die from Arrowhead, a hand primer for modules and all other necessary equipment too.

Mine with 225 ELR bullets and 132 grains of BH gets me .6 groups at 100. At 500 that opens up (MOA wise) to 4". Still impressive.