Paramount Pro Accuracy Issue

brettman

I've searched and have been unable to find anyone else having a similar issue so here goes: My father purchased a new .45cal CVA Paramount Pro a couple weeks ago. Had a Hawke 2.5-10 illuminated 30mm tube scope mounted in Warne steel rings on Warne steel bases and bore sighted. .45cal CVA muzzle brake installed at same time, all at the same shop. I weighed out 10 105gr(150 by volume) charges of blackhorn for him and he went to zero it at 100yds the next day. He calls me at work the next day pretty disgusted and says he sent 10 rds down range (last 3 were from 50yds) and he's got 1 bullet on paper and thinks he can see another 2 in the target boards about 1ft on each side of the paper. Fast forward a few days and now it's my turn. I removed the scope, torqued bases, remounted scope, torqued action screws to 50inlbs and weighed some more charges. I got it on paper at 50, moves to 100yd board and proceeded to put up a 29.5 inch 3 shot group. No swabbing, no scope adjustments. Talked to owner of shop and he said try 140gr volume charge and he emailed cva while I was on the phone with him. Next two shots with 140gr were 20 inches apart. Left it until yesterday, decided to screw the brake off and see what happens and put up a 1.25 inch clover at 100. Adjusted POI and shot another 2 touching each other exactly where I adj'd scope to. Probably the only part even made by CVA was the brake. Hopefully this will save someone some heartache and components.

I'll just say this............ take that CVA brake off it and watch what it does. That brake has caused more problems for more Paramount shooters than one would ever believe. Guys are shooting cloverleaf groups at 100yds without the brake, install the brake and can't even hit the paper!
There are two thoughts on this......... first one that come believe, is that the skirt on the ELR bullet is coming off inside the brake causing erratic bullet flight. Second is that its the brake design itself.
Take the brake off and see what it does.
If its the brake, then put an LR Customs brake on it.

CVA DOESN'T MAKE THE BRAKE. Its sourced.

Yeah, took the brake off and it shot under 1.5moa first group. It will definitely NOT be back on the rifle. With brake on it was definitely not minute of paper with standard old redfield targets and almost off of full size blueprint paper.

Yeah, took the brake off and it shot under 1.5moa first group. It will definitely NOT be back on the rifle. With brake on it was definitely not minute of paper with standard old redfield targets and almost off of full size blueprint paper.
Unfortunately you are not alone. There is obviously an issue with that brake. Good grief, the first ones broke apart!
If you want a top quality brake, buy the LR Customs brake.

One broke in 5 shots the other in just 4 shots.

CVA NEW BRAKE BROKE IN 4.jpg

CVA new brake broke in 5.jpg

I wasn't very impressed with their design of that brake to say the least. Could've saved about 40$ in powder and bullets.
Honestly, if everyone having problems with accuracy and these brakes sent them back and asked for a refund, maybe they'd either change it or switch to a different vendor.

It's already been taken back to the store it was purchased from and money refunded. I will stay in contact with the owner and see what cva does about it. Awesome service from the retailer btw, owner was ready to swap out rifle with another and sort it out with cva himself since our ml season starts in 2weeks. Full refund on brake and 2 free packs of ELRs for the trouble.

First post, but I just spent 4 hours trying to sight in my new paramount pro. 20 shots later I left completely ****ed off. Sure wish I would have read this thread first. I'm confident the CVA muzzle brake is an issue (at least I hope so). $1600 for the gun, and $1300 for a scope and my shots are extremely inconsistent. 2" low at 100yrds, then the next round isn't even on paper?! Next round is 2" high and 3" right and I never adjusted the scope. I was never able to get a remotely consistent group at 50 or 100 yrds. Now I have to remove the muzzle brake and burn another day (And powder) trying to figure out what's going on. Very dissatisfied customer right now.

Pretty much same situation. Disgusted to say the least. I was ready to box the whole rig up and take it back. I've shot patched round balls and iron sights that were FAR more accurate. First group with brake removed and wow, less than 1.5 with no patching at 100. Since first post I've zeroed at 200 and first 2 shots almost touched each other, 2 more after adjustment and done deal.

Bergara put a pretty nice muzzleloader together for us, CVA shoulda got the brake from them too. Get your money back for the junky brake, 150 gr load is plenty manageable without it.

Pretty much same situation. Disgusted to say the least. I was ready to box the whole rig up and take it back. I've shot patched round balls and iron sights that were FAR more accurate. First group with brake removed and wow, less than 1.5 with no patching at 100. Since first post I've zeroed at 200 and first 2 shots almost touched each other, 2 more after adjustment and done deal.
Yeah that's where I'm at!!! Glad to hear performance is much better without MB. Question, how much more recoil is there without it?

It's a good bit stiffer but not violent. I'd probably compare it to a 300 win mag in something like a rem sendero weight rifle. A past recoil shield is plenty for me, doubt my wife would care much for it though. Encore recommended LR Customs brake.