Paramount 1st shot of the day issues.

Hello everyone, I'm new to longrangehunting.com. Looks like a great site with lots of knowledgeable shooters. Question for you Paramount shooters. I have one of the first 2019 Paramount rifles. My rifle shoots the 280gr ELR bullet with 102.5gr weighed BH 209 & Federal 210 lg rifle primers very well. If I don't mess up the shot moa or a little over out to 300 yds is normal. My problem is the first shot of the day out of a clean cold barrel hits the target 2-3 inches low & 2" right at 100yds. Subsequent shots are right on target. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions. Thanks.

Hello everyone, I'm new to longrangehunting.com. Looks like a great site with lots of knowledgeable shooters. Question for you Paramount shooters. I have one of the first 2019 Paramount rifles. My rifle shoots the 280gr ELR bullet with 102.5gr weighed BH 209 & Federal 210 lg rifle primers very well. If I don't mess up the shot moa or a little over out to 300 yds is normal. My problem is the first shot of the day out of a clean cold barrel hits the target 2-3 inches low & 2" right at 100yds. Subsequent shots are right on target. Has anyone else had this problem? Any solutions. Thanks.

Its called cold bore shot.

Pretty much any rifle does it from a cleaned barrel.

Hunters who know there rifles will know to adjust for it in either holdover or by adjusting the turrets for the 1st shot or hunt with an already fowled barrel.

Can probably also be excentuated in very cold weather as well.

I am hopefully going on a hunt in 2 weeks & had to sight my 270win in yesterday, I havent cleaned it because of this exact reason, should be bang on 1st shot.

Last edited:
Many times, not always, the lubrication you use can cause your cold bore shot to be off. Its common with muzzleloaders, but not with every rifle.

Next time out, make positively sure that you've removed all traces of lubricant from your barrel. Many custom rifle shooters use a 50/50 mixture of Hoppe's and 91% alcohol, swab the barrel clean of lubricants, then run 2 dry patches. After that process, fire 2 primers only, no charge. The combination of a lubricant free barrel and just the fouling from 2 primers may correct your issue, or at least minimize it more. It also ensures you have a clean flash hole and channel.

From my own first hand experience, two things can cause cold clean bore flyers.

1. Carbon ring built up in front of chamber/lead. Cure: Chamber brush with good solvent.

2. Pressure point between barrel and stock somewhere. Sometimes it is hard to detect before or after barrel warms up from shooting. But you want your barrel well-floated or well bedded to find the good harmonics.

I Never hunt with a clean barrel. Usually test shoot it and then run dry patches through it before hunting.

Are they allowing non-members to shoot at Kenmore, yet? I've been trucking it to Everett from Lake Forest Park since the ranges opened after our quarantine. It would be nice to have a shorter drive.

Are they allowing non-members to shoot at Kenmore, yet? I've been trucking it to Everett from Lake Forest Park since the ranges opened after our quarantine. It would be nice to have a shorter drive.
Unfortunately they are still closed to the public. Once they can open more than 50% of the benches I think they will open to the public.

Its called cold bore shot.

Pretty much any rifle does it from a cleaned barrel.

Hunters who know there rifles will know to adjust for it in either holdover or by adjusting the turrets for the 1st shot or hunt with an already fowled barrel.

Can probably also be excentuated in very cold weather as well.

I am hopefully going on a hunt in 2 weeks & had to sight my 270win in yesterday, I havent cleaned it because of this exact reason, should be bang on 1st shot.

Good luck on the hunt. Be safe, be well.

It's what my shooting circle calls the cold shot. It can be due to a number of things such as thermal expansion, lube in your barrel (as someone else mentions) and largely due to whether you clean your bore each time you put it away. IN MY EXPERIENCE, in that case your first shot will nearly always deviate. As long as you know, no big deal. (I personally have noticed it more on stainless barrels than black) IMO: If you zero your gun for that cold shot you're a hunter. If you zero for the subsequent shots you're a target shooter. Just my personal take. Lots of opinions on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.