Parallax vs Focus

The closer the range to your target, and
the higher the magnification you set your scope--
➔ the more critical parallax error becomes.

For stalking I set my magnification low, and predial the parallax turret to a close range where I expect quarry to pop up.
If quarry shows up farther away, it usually gives me enough time to increase magnification and adjust parallax to that range.
Technically speaking, no adjustment on the scope adjusts parallax. One of them adjusts focus. Exactly like spotting scopes, binoculars, camera lenses and magnifying glasses.

If the aiming eye is on the scope optical axis, there's never any parallax regardless of what range the scope's focused at.

Look up the definition of parallax.

Last edited:
Absolutely Cat Shooter, The eyepiece to adjust initial reticle focus is something you do FIRST and then you should somehow mark both the rotating ring and the scope tube (I use small dots of white paint) so if that focus point is moved I can immediately see it and fix it.

If a newbie understands your article they know why a fixed power scope does not need a "parallax knob".

Absolutely Cat Shooter, The eyepiece to adjust initial reticle focus is something you do FIRST and then you should somehow mark both the rotating ring and the scope tube (I use small dots of white paint) so if that focus point is moved I can immediately see it and fix it.

If a newbie understands your article they know why a fixed power scope does not need a "parallax knob".
If a fixed power scope needs to be focused at the target range, it'll need an adjustable objective lens system (often misnamed parallax adjustment) to do that.

Metallic sights can have parallax regardless of where the aiming eye is focused.

Last edited:
So do most of you long range hunters want a parallax adjustable scope on a hunting rifle? I am thinking of getting a
new scope and spending a lot more than I ever have. I too have older eyes with glaucoma problems. They are stanble and doing well
but they aint what they used to be.

In a nut shell is parallax a big deal for 600 yards and under?
Do most hunters mess with it at the moment of truth?
Big whitetail at 400... he stops... do you mess with parallax or let it fly?

Parallax will let you know it's at 400.

IMG_5971.JPG