Parallax vs Focus

Maybe off topic Orangedust but what knob is on the right side of the scope. I looked at some Khales in a gun shop ans to tell the truth never even noticed what you described. The glass was really nice in them though.

Maybe off topic Orangedust but what knob is on the right side of the scope. I looked at some Khales in a gun shop ans to tell the truth never even noticed what you described. The glass was really nice in them though.
The right knob is illumination, and a spare battery. Really nice scope

I am lost on proving a negative. How ever I am happy for you with all of your success and I hope it continues for you. Neither of us know for sure though which scopes are equal to your March scopes. I feel better telling others to focus the way Catshooter explained as there is no harm in it. This is just one of those subjects I guess where we will have to agree to disagree for now at least.
The ONLY reason I brought up my forays into competitive shooting is because you made this comment:
If you are wrong you could cost a guy a match or trophy of a life time.
In my view you were inferring that I my experience in managing riflescopes is simply not up to the level where it can influence critical results. So I wanted to squelch that line of thought immediately.

Now, let's talk a little bit about the variations induced by parallax error.
Here is a site that has a calculator that will help you understand what the implications are.

So, let's say we are talking shooting a target at 1000 yards. (I use that, because it's what I do in a match at least once a month and have been doing that for 15+years.) My objective lens is 56mm. I don't have a fixed parallax setting, but let's say I muck up and the backlash of my scope places the setting at 900 yards and due to DOF, I don't notice it. Well, at 1000 yards, the error is .012MOA or 0.122 inches.

I'm not worried.

I have proven in my own mind this backlash thing is true with my vortex scopes. When i got my kahles i played with it to see what would happen if i just went to the yardage from whereever. This scope also is the only one i own that the marks match my eyes. I couldnt tell any difference just going to it instead of from infinity. Been doing it anyway because it seems like the thing to do. One thing about this scope is windage is on the left and paralax on the top under elevation. Setup makes it easy to dial windage and i like it. Sacrifice is paralax not so easy to get to.dont know difference of internals vs side mount, but i really like the scope. Wish i knew for sure if it matters on this scope.
Yeah, Kahles scopes are very good; the glass is not the best but it's really not bad. So you should not have any backlash issues with the Kahles. Of course, Vortex is not at the same level so, you get what you get.

The Kahles focus method is the same as any other side focus, they just place the control knob for it at a different location, which I find to be awkward, especially for someone like me who changes focus a lot during a match to do a quick final check of mirage before taking the shot.

Yeah, Kahles scopes are very good; the glass is not the best but it's really not bad. So you should not have any backlash issues with the Kahles. Of course, Vortex is not at the same level so, you get what you get.

The Kahles focus method is the same as any other side focus, they just place the control knob for it at a different location, which I find to be awkward, especially for someone like me who changes focus a lot during a match to do a quick final check of mirage before taking the shot.
Thanks. Optics knowledge, esp high end optics, are a weak link in my knowledge I need to work on.

You made a great choice with the Kahles. I probably missed it so can you tell us which model you have?
K525I in mils. got it last summer. Its on my new beanfield rifle, a 28N. seems to be a great choice for LRH. Low light is superb, and that's the only time we see anything anymore due to all the pressure.

Last edited:
K252I K525I in mils
I love how you quickly corrected that. You threw me for a loop. ;)

That is a very nice scope, very nice indeed. I see you got the model with the windage on the left. I'm just so used to having the windage on the right; I'd probably be spending my time switching the illumination on and off.

Which reticle and do you have CW or CCW knobs?

I love how you quickly corrected that. You threw me for a loop. ;)

That is a very nice scope, very nice indeed. I see you got the model with the windage on the left. I'm just so used to having the windage on the right; I'd probably be spending my time switching the illumination on and off.

Which reticle and do you have CW or CCW knobs?
SKMR3 CCW

Great choices. The Skimmer 3 is an outstanding reticle.
I really like the windage on the left. I dial it now instead of hold. I can see where focus on top would be an issue on a target rifle. It is a little funky, but this set up makes a great long range hunting scope. They upped the glass on the new ones I am told. It is really good, and it is great in low light. Doubt it will be my last one.

There are some people on the line who have Kahles scopes, the K1050. They like it just fine.

I like my focus on the left hand side on my March 10-60X56HM on which I installed the big focus wheel. It allows me to control the focus very precisely, very granular. It also makes it nice to adjust with my arthritic left hand, a gift from old age. I'll see if I can find a recent picture of my setup to give you an idea.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link FTRshooter it will be helpful as I learn more and more about this long range game. I my self have been shooting for 30 some years but just now learning more about the long range game. It is guys like you who are willing to help others that make this site work so well.

I'll point out that having that wheel on the side focus is very helpful for me, but it's certainly not something I would recommend or use on a hunting rifle, or for any other purpose other than long range competition.