Parallax vs Focus

Thank you for the link FTRshooter it will be helpful as I learn more and more about this long range game. I my self have been shooting for 30 some years but just now learning more about the long range game. It is guys like you who are willing to help others that make this site work so well.
I see you're from Canada. I have shot in competition at the Connaught Ranges near Ottawa, many times over the decades. I think the first time was in 1982 (gawd, am I that old?) and the most recent adventure there was in 2017 at the Worlds. It's a drive from Texas, but it's a gorgeous range with a lot of history.

Even after all these years, or perhaps because of all these years, I am learning new stuff about shooting and long range comps all the time. The equipment is evolving rapidly and what was top of the line even just 10 years ago, is falling behind in performance compared to new stuff. Trying to keep up in competition can be daunting, and expensive.

But the skills and the fundamentals remain the same. The best equipment will not compensate for the lack of fundamentals and pure raw marksmanship. That's true in LRH or LRC.

What I like to do is dig into various aspects and optics is one of those areas in which I enjoy digging and learning.

I am not sure how long my eyes will allow me to enjoy this sport but I will enjoy it while I can. You are right progress is a real bear but if we give up on learning or refuse to learn we are dead in the water. Maybe I should learn more about one thing instead of trying to learn about all of it and retain the info. Your wisdom in optics makes you a better man though and I am glad to know you through this forum.

I am not sure how long my eyes will allow me to enjoy this sport but I will enjoy it while I can. You are right progress is a real bear but if we give up on learning or refuse to learn we are dead in the water. Maybe I should learn more about one thing instead of trying to learn about all of it and retain the info. Your wisdom in optics makes you a better man though and I am glad to know you through this forum.
I feel you. I'm 61 and find I need better and better optics to see well as I age. Seems like the only way to beat it is to throw money at it. I'll get new lenses for my eyes before I give up and quit......

I have several years on you. Spoiler alert, left alone, your eyes won't get better. I've been considering lens replacement for my eyes but Mrs. FTR shooter explains that it's for "old" people. Sigh.

On my F-TR match rifle, I upgraded from an NXS to a March-X for the better glass and brighter picture, then 6 years later I had the reticle changed because I could no longer discern it at times and then a year later, I upgraded the March-X 5-50X56 to the March-X 10-60X56HM, but with the same reticle. This glass is about as good as it gets in a riflescope.

My eye issues are deeper than that. I have had diabetes for 46 years now and I am dealing with the complications that not always being in control of it brings. I am to the point I don't want to drive at night because lights really blind me. My life story goes to show one should live not as we feel but follow some rules you are told to follow. That was hard to do when you are a 10 year old and worse as you become a young adult who wants to party with his friends. Not looking for sympathy as I had a choice I chose wrong back then and I waswarned. All that said I am happy I can still shoot and I have a lot of friends who come to me for advice on shooting and reloading. I enjoy sharing what I know with them and hope they gain some thing from what I tell them. Our ages are not that far apart as I am 55 that 6 years is a lot when we are kids but soon shrinks as we age.

Now that we have thoroughly polluted this stickied thread, I would suggest you start a regular thread about vision challenges and how to cope with them by selecting proper optics. I would bet there could be some good comments from people on this site.

I am curious I have glasses for long distance I tend to not use them when looking through a scope
should I be using my glasses and adjusting the scope with them? Also just started wearing them in the last 5 years so not used to putting them on unless I drive.

If you don't wear your glasses when shooting, you'll want your scope adjusted to your uncorrected (no glasses) vision.

So do most of you long range hunters want a parallax adjustable scope on a hunting rifle? I am thinking of getting a
new scope and spending a lot more than I ever have. I too have older eyes with glaucoma problems. They are stanble and doing well
but they aint what they used to be.

In a nut shell is parallax a big deal for 600 yards and under?
Do most hunters mess with it at the moment of truth?
Big whitetail at 400... he stops... do you mess with parallax or let it fly?

So do most of you long range hunters want a parallax adjustable scope on a hunting rifle? I am thinking of getting a
new scope and spending a lot more than I ever have. I too have older eyes with glaucoma problems. They are stanble and doing well
but they aint what they used to be.

In a nut shell is parallax a big deal for 600 yards and under?
Do most hunters mess with it at the moment of truth?
Big whitetail at 400... he stops... do you mess with parallax or let it fly?
The closer the target is, the more critical focusing the scope on target is. If target is 400 yards away and the scope is focused at 200, the parallax error is negligible

If your eye is on the scope's optical axis, there's no parallax regardless of the range the scope's focused at.

Technically speaking, scopes only have a range focus adjustment. Human's cause parallax problems when their eye's not on the scope's optical axis.

This parallax issue started when scope's range focus was controlled by a knob opposite the windage knob and some well meaning person didn't think it could possibly focus the scope on target like twisting the objective lens does. In spite of patent drawings saying it's a focus adjustment:

Last edited:
So never having messed or hunted with one will it be a pain to hunt with? Will it have to be focused if deer shows up at 25 or 150? Will it cause you to miss an opportunity?

The closer the range to your target, and
the higher the magnification you set your scope--
➔ the more critical parallax error becomes.

For stalking I set my magnification low, and predial the parallax turret to a close range where I expect quarry to pop up.
If quarry shows up farther away, it usually gives me enough time to increase magnification and adjust parallax to that range.

Recent Posts