Parallax Question.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by louis f, May 21, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. louis f

louis f Active Member

Just got back from some 1000 yard shooting. My question how do you dial out Parallax at 1000 yds when you have Mirage? I am a novice at shooting that far.

2. philipbrousseau

philipbrousseau Well-Known Member

my only guess would be to find the setting in perfect conditions and remember or mark it.

Rich Coyle and louis f like this.
  3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

That could get you close, but I’ve always been told parallax can change with changing conditions. Try looking higher off the ground at an object. If you are lined up directly behind the scope, you will not have any parallax.

MagnumManiac, gohring3006 and louis f like this.
  4. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

Back in the '70's Klienguenther used to suggest backing off from the scope so there was lots of black around the reticle. Then center the reticle.

louis f likes this.
  5. philipbrousseau

philipbrousseau Well-Known Member

like Rich said. position your eye so that the blacked out view through the scope is even all the way around like using an aperture or [peep sight] and this eliminates parallax. probably a good solution if there is not a lot of time for a shot.

6. louis f

louis f Active Member

So if I am following what you are saying that will center my eye in the scope and then be parallax free. Good idea. Thanks!!

7. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

If you are lined up directly behind the scope you will not experience any.
    Using “vignetting” is a technique (the black around the reticle as described above). However, not the preferred method for extended range shooting because the reticle is not centered in the scope. Plus it takes practice, and slows down close in quick shooting. I don’t recommend using it. Just adjust the parallax out, or set the rifle up to fit you better so it is easier to line up behind the scope.

dmoon likes this.