Parallax or AO scope differences for long range?

wasgas

Please help me understand the difference between the side adjustment parallax and the adjustable objectives on longer range scopes.

I am left handed and wanting to buy a new scope for use in 300-1,000 yard shots. I like the adjustable objective scopes over the (side focus) parallax scopes as I can use them with my right hand.

I am looking at a couple of scopes and like both but as I said I prefer the AO over the Parallax adjustments. What suggestions do you have?

Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20X40 AO, with added target turrets
Leupold || VX-3 6.5-20x40mm Adj. Obj.

Wasgas, as far as I know they do the same thing. I think the biggest draw to the side focus is for right handed shooters so you don't have to break your shooting position to adjust it. They both adjust for parallax.

Of the scopes you have listed I have both Leupolds, actually the scope with the target knobs is an older Vari-x III EFR but both of them are rock solid dependable scopes. I would like to try one of the new LR models but it ain't in the budget right now. I have not found the AO to be too much of a problem but I am right handed with pretty long arms and I don't have to adjust my position too much to adjust the objective. I think you are probably on the right track as far as the AO since you are left handed. The target knobs are nice but not absolutely necessary and they do have a couple drawbacks, they are easier to snag/bump and require a larger case, the regular knobs on my VX-3 work fine and for a hunting rifle I think they are a little more practical. As far as the Viper scopes, I have never used one personally but they seem to be getting good reports.

Bob

The paralax adjustment is achieved with the AO or side turret type, that can be on either side , such as a USO, IT IS preference. If you are going to shot LR you aregoing to want a adj, type turret, which vary from manufacture to the profile off tube, USO, EREK very low, LEUPY target type high, there cds dial is only 1/2" lots of options, the reticle is also imprtant because depending on tpye you can hold for elev. or windage w/ reticle such as Leupy mil dot or TMR. sniper central has a scope review are that lets you look at alot of diff. scopes, reticles, dials , etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.