Parallax Explained

Awesomeness fore sure.

And a chance to manipulate it to make sure our optics are correct. Ha...

If I can get the cross-hairs to drift 18" to 24" @ target of 300 meters from either side of parallax/correct,,, then its simple to find zero adjustment...

Coloured markers to track optic eye peace rotation helps to...

https://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/what-is-parallax.1175/

Parallax is a condition that lots of people have and don't understand how much of an effect it has on the accuracy.

Recently I built a friend a 6.5 CM and when I tested it it shot a .302 group with the wrong scope and rings. To high for a good cheek well
and very low power.

I recommended that He get a better scope and the correct mounts for better accuracy. He did find a good scope but decided to keep the high rings. He called and couldn't get a group smaller than 1 MOA. so I ask him to bring it buy and I would check it.

What I found was that He didn't understand what Parallax was or even how to correct it. In addition the scope rings were to high and he had to lift his head off the stock to see through the scope. I corrected both by adjusting the parallax and replacing the rings.

I knew the rifle would shoot if given the chance, and he proved it by shooting a 5 shot group of .107 thousandths.

The point is that even with the wrong cheek well, No parallax aloud the rifle to shoot right at 1/4 MOA, but with both the wrong cheek well and parallax it didn't stand a chance. So It doesn't matter how good the ammo or the stock fit, If you don,t remove the Parallax, accuracy will never be as good as it could be.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Yuppers,,, we had a fellow at our range that had groups all over the map,,, we checked everything on the rifle to make sure it was good...

I lent him my solid shooting bags that deffinatly tightened up the group,,, then we took the time to adjust the parallax to shrink the group some more...

Next time he came to the range he was shooting bug holes with his lite weigth 308...

Of course parallax really plays a role when distance gets involved...

Yo Yo Yo

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.