Pants for still hunting

megastink

We're about to kick-off winter bow season here in eastern PA. I'm planning on still hunting, and don't need many layers. I have a set of under armor, and an Aftco Reaper fleece lined hoodie for the top. I am looking for a new set of pants. I prefer a wind/water proof pant that I can also use as an underlayer during long, cold sits while rifle hunting. I'd like to keep them at or below $100, but will increase my budget for quality so long as I see the value. Thank you in advance!

I wear cabelas Berber fleece. Base layer of under armor then jeans then berger fleece. Our lows are usually in the teens wind chills low single digits. My legs never get cold

Kuiu attack! I have a few pair of them and though they are not waterproof the are very resistant and even when wet seem dry. They are like wool on steroids. I still hunt and work in them year round and they are quiet, stretchy, and multi season. I wasn't sure of the side zip at first but really like it now! Can handle 90 degrees down to 20s in the Attacks. Extremely durable as I have my first pairs yet, and even after crawling, fence jumping, and sticker plucking they are still like new. They can be had for under $100 on some of their sales. Think I have bought them as low as $70? I am wearing them in my avatar deer hunting in 20-50 degree November weather. Tried one day going back to my old under armor and wool setup and got wet and cold quick. I don't like to be a brand junky but wearing the attack pants and Kuiu Peloton uppers I can be out all day and go from glassing to stocking and back without freezing. You dry (sweat) very quickly.

Save your self some money go to cascade direct dot net buy you some rivers west pants water proof wind proof quiet I've owned about every thing from king of the mountain wool to first lite stuff I'd put rivers west up against them all just don't back up to a fire. David

Sorry but I have to disagree with Rivers West for anything that requires moving. Yes, it is quiet and will keep you fairly dry but you will be soaked from the inside if you are doing any actual hunting or getting even somewhat physical. It dose not breath at all. I have had a full set for years and only wear it for butchering and sitting in a blind. Good choice for fishing or horseback but not an ideal setup for still hunting or stalking. That's my experience with it anyway.

Sorry but I have to disagree with Rivers West for anything that requires moving. Yes, it is quiet and will keep you fairly dry but you will be soaked from the inside if you are doing any actual hunting or getting even somewhat physical. It dose not breath at all. I have had a full set for years and only wear it for butchering and sitting in a blind. Good choice for fishingp or horseback but not an ideal setup for still hunting or stalking. That's my experience with it anyway.
When I've still hunted I'm moving slow enough that it is like stand hunting if your moving fast enough to sweat you are not still hunting hunted in deep snow at -17 in New Mexico the only pants that kept me dry my helly Hansen underwear kept me warm. David

Still hunting flat country you should be fine but throw in some hills and thick areas are a different Story. You still sweat no matter how slow you go going up hills.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.