Painting Synthetic Stock

hyoi5

Not sure if this is the right category to post this in but I'm going to be painting 2 synthetic stocks. I've watched quite a few videos and read articles on it but no one ever seemed to use a primer... is that needed? Every video I watched, they degreased the stock and went right to painting. Want to do it right. :)

Thanks!
Sean

I've also removed spray paint and primer with graffiti remover with success to apply Cerakote and Duracoat. Spray paint is temporary but works well.

Rustoleum makes a self etching primer.
It can't hurt.
I use it for some of my painted stocks that aren't easily touched up easily as I'm very hard on stocks.

5, several plastic primers available. I use them on stocks after degreasing. I've painted several black "Tupperware" stocks for my son's friends till they can afford better. I've found 3-4 coats of clear satin urethane seals and prevents chipping without any glossy look. The painting looks good, but it doesn't make "Tupperware" shoot any better. Good luck

I really like the stars and stripes...and the second on in the aspens...
Glad you put them all together so I didn't wear out my likes......
Are they done with stick on stensils.....
Here's an old platinum pink 22 of my wife's.....I couldn't stand the looks...had to change it....had painted with water based acrylic and satin overcoat.... 20160719_193406.jpg 20160719_193358.jpg 20160719_193418.jpg

All done with custom hand cut stencils.
I am trying to figure out what I am going to do with my next personal rifle. Only 4 of the above are my own.

Need to look realistic.....splash a few rocks with colors you like and throw them at the stock.........lol.........see if it works out........somehow I don't think so........

Need to look realistic.....splash a few rocks with colors you like and throw them at the stock.........lol.........see if it works out........somehow I don't think so........
I think I will pass. McMillan Game Scout might look better with a little less "extreme" techniques.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.