Painting a Rifle???

Charter

I have seen several people using spray painted guns (camo etc.) for varmint hunting? Is this a viable option to blueing for rust prevention, and does anyone have suggestions/warnings regarding such a project.

I have a Remington 22-250 coyote rifle with a scratched barrel and was considering it.

Good idea or bad idea?

than

I know quite a few coyote hunters who shoot with camo painted rifles. I still have one rifle, I no longer hunt with it, that is camo painted. Painting them seems to work fine, I don't recall anyone ever talking of any adverse effects of painting them.

I think a camo painted rifle can be a big help, especially to newer coyote hunters. Those who may not sit nearly as still as they think they do, and those who think they need to point their rifle at a coyote as soon as they see it coming in.

On the other hand, you don't Need to paint the rifle to be effective on coyotes. My main calling rifle has a 27" Heavy tapered fluted Stainless Steel Barrel. It will reflect light in all directions at any time. Yet the only time a coyote notices it, is just after I've shot his buddy, and just before I shoot him.

Just be sure to cover any parts you don't want painted and have at it.

Tim

I have to admit, I have two painted rifles. I bought a well used 284 from a serious sheep hunter, the barrel had never been blued, just painted. So I took the gun home, grabbed a can of hi temp bbq paint and painted it. That was 7 yrs ago, its been hunted with hard. The paint has not even chipped, other than the bolt, its never been oiled, doesnt need to.......never rusted. The key is get the right bbq paint. I hung mine in 100 degree texas sun painted it and left it all day in the sun. My buddies think its teflon. I painted my old 7 mag tonight.

Welcome to the family Billy, if you haven't found out by now the people on this board will cough up a lot good info. That bbq paint works on quite of few things. Cheap and cost effective.

Paal,

I suspect that's barbeque paint (for hagegrillen, vettu). Which I also suspect is quite non-existent in this little backwater of ours.
Maybe spray paint for car exhaust systems can be used? They should be able to handle the heat. Only black though....

Any hi-heat paint or engine enamel will work. These can be picked up in an auto parts store, or a good paint store. Hope this helps.

Frank D

Paal,Kevral don't know if you can find it but Rustoleum would be the best. If not a good Hi Temp exhaust flat black paint can surfice.

Let me know if you want your stock painted. I can do it...$30 + shipping.
I use an airbrush and acrylic paints. Let me know if you want a pic.
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.