PAINTING A BARRELLED ACTION- How do you do it ??

Down Under Hunter

Evening all,

Just wanted to find out some info on having a barrelled action painted up. I have fallen in love with the Olive drab finish action and barrel. What is the best way to get it done and what does it cost ? If you have a look at the rifle that is pictured in the article posted by Shawn Carlock with his 7 year old daughter recently, this is what I want to end up with. Thanks again guys !!

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DUHntr,

Snoop around this link as a start.

There are other options on the link also. Most require an air brush etc.

And here's exactly what you're looking for. Also a good read! LRH Thread

Also Dave King did a "Tactical" 30-30 which is really sweet. I even think he shot something with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess there is three ways to get it done; one send it of to someone that offers this service, two do it yourself with a rattle can, three use a spray and bake product if you have access to an oven.

I am working on getting an oven for gun finishing.

I did do one of my first custom projects a 280AI, with Brownells Alumihyde spray cans in olive drab. The process I used was;

Polish barreled action with 220 grit.
Mount and bed a 20moa scope base, also pre sanded this part.
Wipe down with acetone, and wear clean gloves when handling
slide a .700" wood dowel in bolt way.
Slide a wood dowel into the muzzel brake and bumped up against the crown.
Hang part.
Apply 3 coats as per instructions, making sure no runs were preasent.
During the paint application I made a small both and used an electric fan heater which kept the temps around 100-110 degrees.
Let the paint fully cure before messing with the barreled action.

I can honestly say the finish turned out great and has been quite durable, with about 300 rounds down the gun and numerous cleanings The only place the paint shows wear is the inside of the ports and the sharp edges of the ports on the muzzle brake. This is mostly due to the cleaning solevents puddleing in the brake during cleaning.

If you give it a try and find you don't like the results you can always strip it off.

I for one am waiting till I am set up to play with Cerakote.

[ QUOTE ]
DUHntr,

Snoop around this link as a start.

There are other options on the link also. Most require an air brush etc.

And here's exactly what you're looking for. Also a good read! LRH Thread

Also Dave King did a "Tactical" 30-30 which is really sweet. I even think he shot something with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tips boys !! I dont think I'd have the guts to do it myself, so I think I'll get a quote to have it done. Do you think it devalues the rifle for resale value ??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.