Painted or camo stock pics?

Duff

I'm gonna try my hand at painting a stock. Any tips or pics you could share to make my first attempt more fool proof (or just give me some ideas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) would be appreciated. thanks-Duff

I am doing the same thing on a Howa SS Syn Stock 22-250. Got a base coat of Krylon on it now. Would also be interested in what the forum says.

Here is HS precisions "prairie grass"

e94bf02e.jpg

John Noveske's "Southwest Oregon"

965d05b0.jpg

Lex Webernick's "brown camo." This is the stock I'm sending to Kirby Allen for my new .270 Allen Mag.

a0a671a4.jpg
13d8ab0b.jpg
8b045968.jpg

"Sand" by HS Precision and "3 shaded of brown grass" by MG Arms

c4a7ab42.jpg
71eeb31f.jpg
c69f332f.jpg
7d550dcb.jpg

Here is a sight that might give you some other ideas. You can look all through their gallery and see what other folks have.

MG arms

Duff:

If it's a job that you're going to do yourself, you can get a lot of ideas over on "Snipers Hide" .

If you want to see a lot of different blends and patterns from McMillan, go to "24 Hour Campfire" and search for "swirley" , "mcswirley", or variations of same.

Derek's pics and site reference show a lot of combo and possibilities also.

I've got a combo pattern coming on a McMillan that hopefully will be here soon.

Duff and Homer,

I sent you two an e-mail with the pictures of the gun that I painted. I think it turned out real well for my first paint job. I am proud of it.

if you paint your stock grab some cheap clearcoat not high gloss just regular or satin clear if you can find it. hobby stores have satin clear i dont think youll find it anywhere else. Spraypaint isnt weather/oil resistant especially on blued metal to get a good bite youd have to sand/scuff up the surface and just thinking about doing that makes me cringe. so what i did with fantastic results on my bipod was paint my desired cammo pattern on it and then took cheap valspar (junk paint but perfect for this use) and dusted my bipod with it holding the can about a foot and a half away from my target, doing this will give you a chip/oil/water resistant finish without being shiny if you do this i promise youll love the results i used testors model paint on my bipod, probably the absolute worst choice i could have made, but with the light dusting of clear oil and in one disater bore cleaner just wiped off without taking paint with it so a succsess. heres my gun its hard to see the paint but thats the point of my rifle rag i made
Snapshot_20091027_3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.