Painted my Varmint/Coyote gun

Md 25v

I wanted to try my hand at camouflaging one of my guns. I picked one of my Savages, a mod12 in 22-250. This has always been a strange gun to me. I bought it as a .308 about 8 years ago and used it for long range target shooting. I didn't handload then and usually shot Fed Gold Medal Match 168gr BTHP ammo and the gun shot about .7-.75 MOA with the factory stock and a Leupy VXII 4-12 scope. This was a budget gun from the beginning and it worked great for what it was. I had a ballistic calculator in my PDA and the gun was easy to shoot at 500 yards, which is the longest place I had access to. Anyway, my second term in the Army ended and I decided I wanted to start hunting again. I didn't have any interest in deer hunting at that point because deer in the east (I'm in Md) are very overpopulated and they are easy to shoot. Public land is often overcrowded during the short two week deer firearm season and I don't want to see other people when I'm hunting. I decided that I would start coyote hunting. There are not many people that specialize in predator calling around here but the challenge is what drew me to it. I still remember the first yote I shot. That .308 :) near tore him in half at 110 yards. There was no pelt left, just a mass of bloody fur and red jello. I sent the gun to Savage to have the barrel switched to 22-250 so that I could use it better as a varmint gun. The 22-250 was a great choice and has served me well. While it was out I purchased a Mueller Eraticator scope to finish off my "new" budget varmint gun. Now, I have settled on using my AR15 for close to med range calling, out to 200 yards or so and the 22-250 is left behind unless I'm going to be shooting longer ranges and staying in one place. The 26in bbl and the heavy choate stock (I used to use the gun for benchrest and the USS stock is actually quite good for that) make this one heavy rig and I certainly wouldn't want to carry it any great distance. I was shooting at a 300 yard range last week and when I walked out to retrieve my targets I noticed that the deep blue finish on my gun shined in the sun like a mirror. That's not a good feature when your trying to shoot one of the craftiest animals in the woods. I stopped off at the walmart on the way home and picked up some spray paint in camo colors. I wanted a simple but effective camo that would be well suited to both mountains and field edges. This is what I came up with on my first try. I think it should blend well to the terrains that I hunt in.

Painted22-250.jpg

Hey, good job, looks really good for a custom made camo, and with original pattern!!!
Congrats.
Post some pictures with it in the field where you hunt to see how it blends with nature.
I am sure it will look great.

Thanks! I thought I'de get out this morning before work but no such luck. I'll take it out over the weekend and get some pics in the field.

Looks good. That should help you go unnoticed. I just did the same thing to my shooting sticks. I am using that to practice with before I do my 6mm AI for coyotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.