"Painkiller" muzzle brake

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Just fitted the first large "Painkiller" and took some pics for the members to see. This rifle is SS7mm's 7mm AM. The 5 port Painkiller(PK) is really to large for this size of a rifle and the gas volume produced by this round but while its overkill, it works very well and thats all I will say about the performance because it will mean much more to have ss7mm do a non biased report to the members without my opinion muddying the waters.

PKmuzzlebrakeside.jpg

In the back ground is my Raptor 300 AX with the medium sized 3 port PK brake with muzzle jump ports on top. In the foreground is the large 5 port PK brake. Again, this brake is designed specifically for my Xtreme Heavy Sporter rifles that weigh from 15 to 19 lbs and are generally chambered in my 338 AM and 375 AM. That said, they will work fine for any magnum chambering with a muzzle diameter of at least 0.850" and smaller then 1" in diameter. It can be used with larger muzzle diameters but they will be slightly larger then the width of the PK brake which is roughly 1".

Again, the large PK 5 port brake is specifically designed around the gas volume of the 338 AM or 375 AM or any other chambering based on the 408 CT case.

Muzzlebrakeengraving.jpg

The PK brakes are engraved as seen above. In the case of this rifle, to keep the look as clean as possible, I indexed the brake so the engraving was on the bottom surface.

LargeandMediumPKbrakewithHollandQDb.jpg

Just for size reference, thats a 3/4" Holland QD brake sitting on the 5 port PK brake. The muzzle is set up so its interchangable between the two so we should get some good comparision between the two from ss7mm.

Obviously this brake is not a small brake. Its designed for one purpose, controling recoil. As a result, its loud, but not noticably louder then a standard partition style brake design. How it performs, well we will hear soon.

Kirby Allen(50)

Those look pretty sweet. That 5 port job is beefy. I take it the 5 port brake turns a 19 lb rifle into 21 lbs? :D.

Looking forward to Dick's review.

Kevin

Yup, it's big but we knew that going in and I wanted to try it so "here it comes".

Kirby went the extra mile, like he has many times, and because of thread designs etc. with both brakes, he came up with a great solution that will allow me to switch brakes. I'll be testing the gun without a brake and with the two brakes pictured so it'll be interesting.;)

This gun is not really an offhand gun;) and is a dedicated long range rig that spends most of it's time either on a portable bench or down in the dirt.

Heck, if I end up thinking it's too big/long, I can just get the 'ol hacksaw out and chop some off. And, that'll probably drop the weight a pound or so.:rolleyes:

Very nice work, don't let the gun grabbers see it though, it would look like artillery to them and nobody needs a cannon to shoot harmless deer;-}.

Nobody has a Cannon to shoot the Deer with any way, kind of a moot point I'd say.

I apologize for my lack of clarity, I was inferring that THEY would call it a cannon, I don't, and of course nobody here uses a cannon on deer. That would be done in WI at Camp McCoy, during artillery practice, at least it was back in '78!

Yup, it's big but we knew that going in and I wanted to try it so "here it comes".

Kirby went the extra mile, like he has many times, and because of thread designs etc. with both brakes, he came up with a great solution that will allow me to switch brakes. I'll be testing the gun without a brake and with the two brakes pictured so it'll be interesting.;)

This gun is not really an offhand gun;) and is a dedicated long range rig that spends most of it's time either on a portable bench or down in the dirt.

Heck, if I end up thinking it's too big/long, I can just get the 'ol hacksaw out and chop some off. And, that'll probably drop the weight a pound or so.:rolleyes:

ss7mm

Just interested to know what the muzzle diameter on your AM and barrel contour are ?. I will be very interested to hear how it performs against your current version.

Cheers

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.